Railroad Forums 

• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1469795  by 452 Card

10A.jpg
10A.jpg (407.85 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
The new parking lot is for the access to trail #1, the "Gorge Trail". They kept the access to the old CCC-constructed stairway to the lower area picnic field. It can be seen in this photo as a round shape at right-center. It is supposed that the "Mary Jemison" trail will also be re-aligned to lead to the new parking lot. The park road will in fact be re-aligned to run further west under the new bridge after the old bridges' embankment is removed and the area graded. This removes the severe hairpin in that area, which was shored up a few years ago to strengthen the area due to a fragile condition underground. Gaining access to trail 1 with the old parking lot was a bit dangerous as the view was limited crossing the park road, resulting in Dodge-A-Car moves at times. The new lot removes that situation, except if they align the Jemison trail to end there. Then crossing the park road will happen there.
 #1469823  by thebigham

^That's a great pic! The bridge was built right next to the embankment of the old bridge. I thought it was over more to the right.

New John Kucko pic posted today
Attachments:
letchworth190.jpg
letchworth190.jpg (292.79 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
 #1469957  by MACTRAXX

johnpbarlow wrote:Vote for a name for the new bridge at the NS Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/norfolksouther ... tion=group
Everyone:

For those who do not use Facebook like myself: What is wrong with "The Portageville Bridge"?

We Forum members have been using this term for some years now...Has there been anything
anyone has come up with that may be better that has been posted? Sometimes it does pay to
leave well enough alone and not change something that many are familiar with...MACTRAXX
 #1470256  by ANRP2

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.23.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.23.30 AM.png (311.17 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
In case you don't know Generic Foamer, you should. And to honor his commitment to rails (and his inevitable demise, I suppose), I second his self-nomination to call the bridge the Generic Foamer Memorial Bridge:
 #1470410  by Matt Langworthy

I voted for Genesee Arch Bridge as the new bridge name on the NS Facebook page. IMO, Portage Viaduct should be used to honor the old bridge... while the new bridge has a new name of its own.
 #1470751  by thebigham

John Kucko picture posted on April 26:

Panther Pride in Portage: Have tried to showcase the multiple layers of getting the spectacular new rail bridge built at Letchworth SP. American Bridge, based near Pittsburgh, sent some of its finest engineers to oversee this massive endeavor. These three (from left: Josh Munzek, Jonathan Weaver and Dan Stauffer) have called Portage "home" for the last couple of years. All three attended the University of Pittsburgh and have had crucial roles in the history that has transpired here. Jonathan is the Project Manager, overseeing it all. He's like the conductor of a large orchestra, making sure each component comes together to produce perfect harmony. Josh and Dan are Field Engineers, two of the rising stars for American Bridge. Dan's last day is tomorrow, he moves to Kansas City to be part of another bridge project there and gets a nice promotion. Josh will remain here with Jonathan and see this project through to the very end--until the last tree is planted and restoration is complete. Anytime I needed information on numbers (weight of iron, size of gusset plates, etc.) Josh always delivered good information. The life of these kinds of engineers is such that they move every two or three years, onto the next project. American Bridge has had a few others here, but these guys I got to know best. Without them, and the blessing of Norfolk Southern, none of my documentation would have been possible. American Bridge is lucky to have these three! They have helped create a lasting legacy here and I'll miss my visits with them at their cozy little office trailer at the east end.
Attachments:
letchworth196.jpg
letchworth196.jpg (460.67 KiB) Viewed 3247 times