Railroad Forums 

• Port Chester Terminal?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #942521  by Otto Vondrak

Looking at the latest edition of the SPV Railroad Atlas, they have a squiggle of a line coming off from Port Chester, NY labeled as the "Port Chester Terminal." I have never heard of a reference to a Port Chester Terminal Railroad before. Internet searches turned up nothing. Any ideas?

-otto-
 #942610  by Noel Weaver

I have been a Branford member since 1957 and I had to go all the way back to 1957 to find this, a quote from a Addenda to the Trolley Museum Guidebook: "Amy is our diminutive locomotive -- little in size, but quite heavy (24 tons), She used to switch freight cars for the Abendroth Foundry in Port Chester (N.Y.) for 30 years, then lay idle for another 25. In 1957 we discoered her in a boatyard, whose owner generously donated her to the museum. (In gratitude we named the locomotive after his granddaughter, Amy). (Built by General Electric in 1902 for Abendroth Foundry."
This locomotive is still at Branford but I do not know its present status. The last I knew it was still in running condition and I suspect they may still use it.
This is the best I can do.
Noel Weaver
 #943167  by choess

A Google Books search suggests that this was the incorporated plant railroad of the Russell, Burdsall and Ward Bolt and Nut Company. Dissolved 1948?
 #947719  by Otto Vondrak

choess wrote:A Google Books search suggests that this was the incorporated plant railroad of the Russell, Burdsall and Ward Bolt and Nut Company. Dissolved 1948?
Thanks! That would make a lot of sense!
 #960147  by Travelsonic

Jeff Smith wrote:Does this have anything to do with the old coach yard east of Port Chester? Is that bridge to the yard still extant?
A small [but noticable] amount still remains, believe it or not.

From where the lead branched off the NYNH&H - that switch long gone, it continues northeast until it hits an overgrown, rusted switch. From looking at the site using image scans of a 1928 Westchester atlas on historicmapworks.com. Heading West towards the Port Chester station, you could either head right, towards another set of sidings, or left, to the NYNH&H mainline. The tracks to those sidings, and the sidings themselves, appear to be long gone, built upon, repaved over, etc. Heading East, the ROW - and track - crosses Highland St. before making a sharper turn northward... along the way there used to be a number of tracks, long gone - though I am tempted to walk this bit of track to see any remains obscured from the Google brush alongside the actual lead track, whose path is amazingly unobstructed. Before reaching the Strauss paper warehouse, the remaining lead track splits into two before turning towards, and ending short of, Horton Ave.

A number of years ago I climbed a hill right at the overpass where the track crossed Highland, rather, AFTER the crossing heading east, and was able to gain access to the ROW, but chickened out first because of trespassing issues, and 2nd because of the massive amounts of ... ick ... spider webs.... >_< Who owns the property the ROW for the MU yard sits on? I mean, part of it is owned by Strauss, the area by Horton, but I mean just northeast of the Highland overpass. The RR? The town of Pert Chester? IF possible, I'd find it an interesting venture to try to get permission to go on the ROW from Highland to where the Strauss paper co. warehouse is to document the remains of the M.U yard.
 #961113  by Ridgefielder

Jeff Smith wrote:Does this have anything to do with the old coach yard east of Port Chester? Is that bridge to the yard still extant?
Which yard? There were two in Port Chester-- one west of the Byram River on the WB side of the line, one east of the Byram River (so actually in Greenwich, CT) on the EB side. The one east of the river is long gone; the one west of the river is still there in part but I think disconnected from the main line.
 #961282  by Noel Weaver

Ridgefielder wrote:
Which yard? There were two in Port Chester-- one west of the Byram River on the WB side of the line, one east of the Byram River (so actually in Greenwich, CT) on the EB side. The one east of the river is long gone; the one west of the river is still there in part but I think disconnected from the main line.
The switch in to the old Port Chester West Yard has been gone for well over 20 years.
Noel Weaver
 #961676  by Travelsonic

Ridgefielder wrote:
Yup, from observations using satellite images/aerial photos online, limited experiences around the site, I HOPE the details about that yard remains that I provided above are accurate.