Railroad Forums 

• Port Authority Trans Hudson (PATH) employment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1225227  by trentals21

GENERAL MAINTAINERS - clean PATH car body exteriors, interiors and associated cleaning equipment. Some work may also involve operating small machinery to assist Journeymen and mechanics in maintaining electrical and mechanical components, lubricating parts, changing oils and filters, and assisting with car repairs and inspections. This 24 / 7 job calls for work in all weather conditions.

The current salary rate for this position, which is subject to union agreement, is $18.36 hourly.

95% of the time cleaning trains, I currently am a GM

Steve F45 wrote:what does the general maintainer do?
 #1226562  by CC123

CC123 wrote:My timeline went something like this 10/11 took and passed test.. 2/12 interview passed .. 7/12 i was told i didnt disclose something in my background check and they terminated my application, so i spoke to someone and they said to write a email explaining in detail what happened and i did and now this month, 8/12, i got a phone call saying im back on the waiting list waiting to be hired
So I randomly get a phone call today 11/4/13 asking if I am still interested in working for PATH. I say yes and they tell me they have a spot open in the conductor class. Mind you I originally applied for temporary information agent. I say ok when does it start they say 12/2/13 and I'd be in a 7 week program to become a conductor given I pass. However if I don't pass that will be it, as they will have no spot for me anywhere. Had I gotten hired as an agent and moved up to conductor and failed, I could go back to being an agent. But because I am coming on straight into the class, there's nothing for me unless I pass. I work as a maintenance tech now making decent money and I know the opportunity I have in front of me. Wondering if it's worth the risk. Suggestions? I am nervous because I have a family that depends on me.
 #1226586  by trentals21

never heard of coming in as a conductor, but I would say if you pass it would be well worth it. I believe they top out at 34 an hr. There is a lot to learn, you have to learn the tunnels and signal system and rules. But if you put in the time and study and do everything you need to do it would be well worth it.

CC123 wrote:
CC123 wrote:My timeline went something like this 10/11 took and passed test.. 2/12 interview passed .. 7/12 i was told i didnt disclose something in my background check and they terminated my application, so i spoke to someone and they said to write a email explaining in detail what happened and i did and now this month, 8/12, i got a phone call saying im back on the waiting list waiting to be hired
So I randomly get a phone call today 11/4/13 asking if I am still interested in working for PATH. I say yes and they tell me they have a spot open in the conductor class. Mind you I originally applied for temporary information agent. I say ok when does it start they say 12/2/13 and I'd be in a 7 week program to become a conductor given I pass. However if I don't pass that will be it, as they will have no spot for me anywhere. Had I gotten hired as an agent and moved up to conductor and failed, I could go back to being an agent. But because I am coming on straight into the class, there's nothing for me unless I pass. I work as a maintenance tech now making decent money and I know the opportunity I have in front of me. Wondering if it's worth the risk. Suggestions? I am nervous because I have a family that depends on me.
 #1226876  by ednyc7

Man don't listen to that, no one gets let go from path. Even if you fail. they will let you take that test as many times as you need. Working for path is great.
CC123 wrote:
 #1231073  by ednyc7

Welcome to the Path.
zayvion wrote:Hello everyone, I applied for the temporary passenger information agent in March of this year just on a whim and my father found this forum for me just so I could try and get as much info as possible on the hiring process. I've read this entire thread and a lot of it has been helpful to me so I thought I would share my experience.

Like I said I applied 3/13 for the temporary passenger information agent and received a letter to take the test for the position in 5/13. I took the test 5/21 which was mostly math, reading the PATH train map, and situational questions as if you were on the job. They said we would get the results in 4-6 weeks and surprisingly I received a letter in about a week and a half from PATH saying I qualified to move onto the oral part of the interview and it would be scheduled for a later date. So I basically waited in anticipation all summer and received an email in the beginning of August from human resources saying my interview would be 8/24/13. I must say the interview was very...intense. Well for me at least, i really wanted this job and there were two people interviewing me with a packet and were scoring my answers and writing down notes each time I spoke. Whenever I leave an interview I'm usually very confident but for some reason I left feeling as though I had bombed. Than at the beginning of September I received another letter from PATH saying I'd qualified for the oral part of the interview and would be entered into a pool of qualified candidates based upon my background check. Now here is where things got tricky. I remember reading this forum and some saying once they reached this step, they just seemed to fall in limbo and never got contacted by PATH again. So after about two days of getting the letter I received a call from the background check company saying they were unable to reach two of my employers out of the five listed on my resume. One job was way back in 2007 and I literally had to call the store I worked at, get their employment verification number for HR, call HR and verify they still had me on file and have them call the background company to verify me. I got the the other number as well for the second job they couldn't contact. However, something told me to check with the background company again to see the progress they made and they told me "we were unable to reach either number so we were going to release your application"...I couldn't believe it. So I called the HR from my second job and had them reach out the background company so they could verify me, luckily they did and I was able to complete the background check.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR DATES ON POINT AND THE CORRECT EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION NUMBERS, YOU WILL NOT GET PASS THIS POINT IN THE HIRING PROCESS.

At the end of September, I received a call from HR saying that my background was completed and I would be entered into the qualified candidate pool for a year and I would be called for employment when a vacancy opened up. All I could do was wait and honestly it felt like they would never call. To my delight, I received a call from HR 10/29/13 asking if I was still interested in the TPIA position and that they wanted to offer me employment contingent on a medical screening with their doctors! The orientation was to begin on 12/11/13 and the job itself on 12/16/13. They set me up with an appointment for 10/31/13, I went down there and had a full physical done though my blood pressure was a little high so they sent me to my doctor to be evaluated. I returned to their doctors today 11/12/13 with some prescribed meds, my pressure was down, they finished my physical and approved me for work. About three hours later, I received a phone call from HR saying "Congratulations, your medical was cleared, welcome to PATH." Those were probably the best words I've ever heard seeing as how I have been working only part time jobs for the past three years. And an added bonus, my orientation has been moved up to 11/27/13 and I will be starting work 12/2/13.

The best advice I can give to anyone is to stay on top of your things during this hiring process. It does take a lot of patience and a lot of effort but from what I hear working for this company is pretty great and you can go to many different avenues once you're in. So good luck to everyone and for you current employees, I'll be seeing you soon!
 #1244155  by ednyc7

They take your blood. They test your hearing, your lungs(there is a computer screen with a firefighter with a hose and once you breath into a tube it shoots out water. the goal is too put out the fire). Then drug test( pee in a cup). xrays of your back and lungs, and then a medical professional takes your blood pressure and talks about your medical history. Be honest don't lie to them. They will find out. and ohh yea a ppd test shot.

What position are you getting hired for?
Carfanatic65 wrote:Does anyone know what the pre placement medical exam consists of and how long it is? I'm scheduled for one Monday. The email says do not eat or drink for six hours before the exam. Is this because they take blood?
 #1244252  by Carfanatic65

ednyc7 wrote:They take your blood. They test your hearing, your lungs(there is a computer screen with a firefighter with a hose and once you breath into a tube it shoots out water. the goal is too put out the fire). Then drug test( pee in a cup). xrays of your back and lungs, and then a medical professional takes your blood pressure and talks about your medical history. Be honest don't lie to them. They will find out. and ohh yea a ppd test shot.

What position are you getting hired for?
Carfanatic65 wrote:Does anyone know what the pre placement medical exam consists of and how long it is? I'm scheduled for one Monday. The email says do not eat or drink for six hours before the exam. Is this because they take blood?
Great!! Thanks for the info. I got hired for a entry level maintenance position. I originally applied for the position in spring of 2012.
 #1282041  by john johnson

I took the PIA test back in feb passed it recently went on my interview in june 12 or 13 got a call last week from a background agency stating that the port authority is conducting a background check on me my question is does that meaning im hired or getting hired ? I no on my interview I asked how long the wait would be I was told not to long because the PIA pool list is at zero