Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1295676  by Ken W2KB

As I understand it, PFCs are Passenger Facility Charges, which are effectively a tax on airline tickets in the $4 or $4.50 range. The funds by FAA regulation can only be used for certain FAA approved projects directly related to the airport, such as passenger movement within the airport boundary. So if the Port Authority, or its PATH system, uses those funds to construct a terminal at the airport, it cannot be for a facility in whole or in part for general commuting. In the case of the existing EWR station, passengers cannot go to/from except via the monorail which exclusively serves the airport.
 #1295705  by Don31

Ken W2KB wrote:As I understand it, PFCs are Passenger Facility Charges, which are effectively a tax on airline tickets in the $4 or $4.50 range. The funds by FAA regulation can only be used for certain FAA approved projects directly related to the airport, such as passenger movement within the airport boundary. So if the Port Authority, or its PATH system, uses those funds to construct a terminal at the airport, it cannot be for a facility in whole or in part for general commuting. In the case of the existing EWR station, passengers cannot go to/from except via the monorail which exclusively serves the airport.
Ken - correct. Because they are a surcharge on airline tickets, they must be used for legitimate airport purposes; capital or operating costs that directly and substantially relate to air transport.
 #1296241  by philipmartin

Here's an nj.com article. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/1 ... _says.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief, fair-use quote:
How many riders would $1.5 billion PATH extension carry daily?

NEWARK — A $1.5 billion extension of PATH service to Newark Liberty International Airport would serve about 6,000 riders a day, who would pay just over one-third of its annual operating costs in fares, according to a feasibility study for the project.

Daily ridership on the mile-long link between Newark Penn Station and the airport would top out at 6,072, according to a study led by the Morristown-based Louis Berger Group, which was first conducted in 2000 and last updated in 2010.

After decades of discussion and study by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the airport extension was included in the agency's $27.6 billion, 10-year capital plan adopted in February. The Port Authority issued a request for proposals to manage the project last week that reflected the $1.5 billion construction cost, with a construction schedule beginning in early 2018 and ending in late 2023.

The study estimated the annual operating cost of the service at $19 million, in 2010 dollars. Based on the PATH's $2 fare in place at the time, the estimated share of the operating cost paid for by riders would be 37 percent, a lower share than the 45 percent realized by the PATH system as a whole from 2002 though 2008.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Admin: Added Fair-Use Quote
 #1296414  by millerm277

IMO you can get those ridership numbers as high as you want if you build commuter parking to support it. There's a ton of people who currently drive in to JSQ or another JC PATH station, park, and catch the train. They would gladly get off I-78 sooner and get on the PATH instead. Given the misery that the McCarter Highway is, I'd imagine there's quite a few Newark workers who would be willing to park there and take the PATH one stop. Really, it's a spot that's accessible to virtually everyone commuting to NYC from certain directions easily, between I-78, US-22, 1&9 (and by extension the Turnpike/95), Route 27, all running right there.

On the downside, I'd imagine that it'd cannibalize Gladstone Branch ridership significantly. I-78 inside 287 is nearly-traffic free to that point for a NYC-bound commuter.
 #1302128  by zerovanity59

Well one of the reasons the extension was approved was a deal with United Airlines. The Port Authority would give United the PATH extension, and United Airlines would service Atlantic City. United Airlines pulled out from Atlantic City, so the Port Authority pulled out of the PATH extension.
 #1302130  by Don31

The RFPs for Environmental Services and for Transportation Planning Services were cancelled. To my knowledge, the PA Board will choose a Program Management consultant at its December meeting.
 #1305845  by Don31

According to the PA's proposed 2015 Budget, released yesterday and subject to Board approval on December 10th, $6 million has been budgeted for planning for the PATH - EWR Extension.
 #1308204  by philipmartin

http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/train-t ... e-maryland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief, fair-use quote:
Port Authority to Study Newark Airport PATH Extension

The extension would take the line to the current transfer station on the Northeast Corridor intercity rail line, where riders would transfer to the AirTrain monorail to the airport terminals. The extension would make getting to Newark Airport easier for residents along the PATH route from midtown and lower Manhattan through Hudson and Essex counties, including Hoboken, Jersey City and Harrison. Currently, PATH users must transfer at Newark Penn Station to New Jersey Transit regional trains to reach the airport from Newark.
 #1319432  by drewh

What they should have done from the start is build a proper Airtrain system like JFK got. They could've run it to Newark Penn where all trains stop and not built the airport rail station. Too late for that though.