Railroad Forums 

• Popular hobby shop going out of business

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#137097  by mainecentral

I haven't been to this site in a while, and I missed this one. I couldn't get the link to work, but I'm assuming that it was the article on the closing of The Hobby Shoppe in Bath, Maine. I shopped there for 25+ years, growing up in Bath. I know the former owner personally, and was saddened to hear he was closing the store after trying unsuccessfully to sell the business for over a year. I bought the "The Hobby Shoppe" sign that always hung in the store window on thier last day of business. I stopped in the day after the store closed, to see if they needed help moving things out of the store and Ken, the former owner, handed me a paper bag and said "Yes, take this bag and fill it with things you want and take them home with you. That's how you can help me, If you take it home, I don't have to pack it up." When the bag was full I was handed another bag, and was told"You're not helping enough." with a big smile on his face. I walked out of there with 3 large bags FULL of useful things, such as one of every color Floquil paints, brass stock, decal sets, track, and various other model RR supplies. Sometimes it really does pay to offer your help out of the kindness in your heart.