Railroad Forums 

• Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad (HOBO, Winnipesaukee Scenic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#448909  by B&Mguy

Thanks for the pictures. My NErail account has not been activated yet. My pictures are only of the RDCs. i'll have to go back there and go further into the yard and check out the boxcars. Are they easily accessible from the street? I noticed one of the captions said it was behind a bank.

#448917  by eriemike

Thanks for the pictures. It is funny, some of your photos were similar to the ones I took. I just got some of my developed. Yes I still us an old fashioned film camera. Will try and get them scanned and posted to share.

#449170  by wog820

Thanks to Paul Charpentier for posting these pictures.

Glad you like them , I was up there this weekend with the caboose train, the yard has been cut back like that for some time now almost 2 yrs, they always park us on the yard lead behind Mc D's. I think the RDC's are for sale, the B&M milk car is privately owned , along with the kitchen car. as for the rest who knew, nothings been moved there in quite some time.

Back in 96? some kids released the brakes on the RDC's , they went by Mc D's at 30 mph , hit the crossing at the visitors center thru the guardrail and landed in the middle of Rt 112. WHAT A MESS ! you can see all the damage it did to one of the RDC's

#457968  by b&m 1566

Did the Winnipesaukee ever go down the line heading to Alton Bay? I remember a website talking about the Lakeport Station and how grand it looked and remember (if I’m remembering correctly) seeing pictures of the train going down the line to Alton Bay. I remember seeing a marina in the picture and in one of the captions it stated that the train couldn't go much further because the line was no longer in tacked passed the boat marina. I may be getting my memory mixed up with the Lakeport Station and some other line but for some reason I keep putting the two together. I know the junction no longer exists with the switch removed but did the Winnipesaukee go down the track that remains on the line before the switch was removed?
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Thu May 01, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#457980  by NHN503

b&m 1566 wrote:Did the Winnipesaukee ever go down the line heading to Alton Bay? I remember a website talking about the Lakeport Station and how grand it looked and remember (if I’m remembering correctly) seeing pictures of the train going down the line to Alton Bay. I remember seeing a marina in the picture and in one of the captions it stated that the train couldn't go much further because the line was no longer in tacked passed the boat marina. I may be getting my memory mixed up with the Lakeport Station and some other line but for some reason I keep putting the two together. I know the junction no longer exists with the switched removed but did the Winnipesaukee go down the track that remains on the line before the switch was removed?
Must have been the trackage on the Lakeport branch just past Lakeport Marina. I believe the trackage southeast of Lakeport Marina was taken up LONG ago...
 #644303  by b&m 1566

I just came across these pictures on NErail... What was the 302 doing in Concord this past November? (if the captions are correct in the pictures)

Photo 1
Photo 2
 #644368  by NHN503

GP40MC 1116 wrote:The PSNH switcher was out of service if I recall correctly and they (PSNH) borrowed the 302 for a little while to switch out the plant.
Correct. Sometimes they hire out 2370 as well.
 #729997  by b&m 1566

I came across this webpage and thought it had some neat photos. I couldn't figure out where to post it, so I figured I would just post it here! I never knew Weirs had three tracks; any idea when the two other tracks were removed?
BTW, what did they do for the washout they had last year or the year before? (I can't remember) I remember reading about the washout after it happened but never saw pictures after it got fixed, nor do I remember anyone talking about it.
 #730168  by B&Mguy

I was in Weirs Beach about six months ago, and they had replaced the fill and tracks where the washout had occurred, but the boardwalk was still missing. I imagine that they must have replaced this before the peak summer season since people were forced to walk on the tracks for a short distance with it missing. I wish I could have gotten pictures immediately after the washout.

I'm not quite sure as to when the second and third tracks were eliminated, but you can see that the layout of the main street and the railroad there has not changed much over the years. There is still room for a second track to be restored as a passing siding if necessary. My guess would be that this location was probably reduced to one track around the time of WWII since the iron would have been useful in the War effort. I have also seen photos of the area from the 1960s that show it only being once track.
 #778075  by p42thedowneaster

I was reading Otto's post about the Flagg Coal steam engine visiting the Naugy this upcoming season.

Is there any reason why White Mountain Central #1 or #5 couldn't be used for some special excursions out of Lincoln or Winnipesaukee?
(Assuming they run it "Thomas-style" with a diesel doing the work on the other end of the train)
I bet it would be a big hit for bike weekend or even the 4th of July! The sound of a nice steam whistle at Weirs would be really cool! '
 #778152  by cogger

It would have to be loaded on a truck to be moved to Lincoln. There is no connection between Clark's and Hobo. But it would be cool!