Railroad Forums 

• PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY? (Hiesler Fireless)

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#171578  by Quietlake

Can anyone please help me identify this loco? I've searched the net for hours. It's a 0-4-0 at a restaurant near my home. I've been over this thing w/ a fine tooth comb, and cannot find a nameplate anywhere. I can't find a pic online that matches up either. I asked the people at the restaurant, but they don't know. THANKS! :wink:

#171646  by rdganthracite

That is what is known as a "fireless cooker". It is basically a large thermos bottle with pistons and wheels. Note that there is no firebox, nor is there any reasonable way to get fuel into the cab. The locomotive would be charged using a stationary boiler and would run 6 to 10 hours on one charge. These were frequently used at power plants (because they had lots of steam available) and at factories that could not tolerate open fires near the production floor (explosives, chemicals, foods).

There were several manufacturers of fireless cookers. The front of that one looks like a Porter to me but the cab does not. Also Porter often, but certainly not always, enclosed the domes in a shroud like those on the SP GS4s.

#171681  by Quietlake

Thanks a lot! Now I have some sort of lead to go on!! :-D :-D
I've looked all over the net, and found some good info. I've been stumped now as to find the model of this engine. It seems unique in that it has a front shield.

UPDATE!
THIS IS A HEISLER!!! I FOUND THIS EXACT MACHINE HERE!! http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=3877

Some history I found:

"Posted: 2004-06-06 10:48:30.657 by Gregg Pullano
The engine was built for the Continental can CO for use at their plant in Chicago. It later ended up at Penwalt Chemicals in Riverview MI. In 1987 the locomotive was moved to the Sweetline Railroad in Carson City, MI for a rebuild that never occured. In 2000 it was moved to it's current location at the Ice Cream Depot in Caro, MI."

#237001  by Daudio

I've been stumped now as to find the model of this engine. It seems unique in that it has a front shield.
There was a brass model of a fireless cooker made, by Westside Models, I believe, but not of this specific engine
THIS IS A HEISLER!!!
No, it is not a Heisler, which is a geared stem locomotive with a V-2 kind of engine configuration. It is, as others have noted, a fireless cooker, with a conventional engine configuration, just without a firebox.

#237115  by Quietlake

The best info I have is what's at the link in my "I found it" post. No one came up w/ anything better. :wink:

#237130  by 2spot

Daudio wrote:
THIS IS A HEISLER!!!
No, it is not a Heisler, which is a geared stem locomotive with a V-2 kind of engine configuration. It is, as others have noted, a fireless cooker, with a conventional engine configuration, just without a firebox.
Dave, the two most prolific manufacturers of "fireless cookers" were Porter and Heisler, although Heisler was better known for its geared locomotives. Check this link: http://www.nrhs.com/web_exclusives/fire ... index.html Heisler even built one geared fireless locomotive. More fireless units: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/steam21.html
 #240245  by pjb

:-D
In the larger scales, and also smaller ones- most
'Fireless Cooker' models were offered as pricy, fabricated
brass, limited run units.
However, there are diecast and molded plastic mass produced
0-6-0 and 0-8-0 copies of European (and export) prototypes,
that easily adapt to some North American units.
Some are available for under two hundred bucks complete.
They are in 'HO', 'N' and 'TT' from ROCO, TRIX/MÆRKLIN,
and others (including I believe Parts of the BACHMANN
cartel). So looking in their catalogs, or at online dealers
(e.g. MICRO MACRO MUNDO;REYNAULD'S EURO- IMPORTS;
MODELLBAHN OTT; E-R MODEL IMPORTERS; EURO RAIL
HOBBIES) or direct from European dealers, you can find them.
If you are an E-Bay devotee, look on the German E-Bay
for bargain priced used versions, and so forth.
In any event , many past and present good performing
models are there to be gotten for fodder for the person
wishing to have a scale model of 'Fireless Cooker.'
Good-Luck, PJB