Railroad Forums 

• Plastic Airbrake Handles

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#170031  by txbritt

I hired out with Econorail here in Houston as their extraboard engineer covering this area. I've found that most, if not all of their locomotives are equipped with plastic brake handles, both auto and independant. Do the Class I roads use these pieces of junk? I've found that you lose a certain amount of feel when making small automatic applications, especially when making minimum reductions.

The independant handles don't move as well, and bail off is almost impossible due to the handle flex.

They're crap IMO -

ya'lls thoughts?

TxBritt

#170050  by thebigc

We've had plastic handles and reversers for quite a few years now. Funny how the independent feels like its gonna break or come out when you bail it off. But I'm sure the carriers feel it's money well saved.

#170331  by GN 599

Never heard of plastic air brake handles, all roads have plastic reversers though. Since you work for Econorail do you know where the U25B rebuilds are, it was kind of a hot topic on here a while ago. :-D

#170378  by txbritt

I'll ask around about the U25's. I know the shop manager pretty well, and I think I could get some answers outta him.

In Houston I've been running a mixture of SW-12 and 1500's, and CF-7's.

TxBritt
 #170402  by Jim Greenwood

txbritt wrote:I hired out with Econorail here in Houston as their extraboard engineer covering this area. I've found that most, if not all of their locomotives are equipped with plastic brake handles, both auto and independant. Do the Class I roads use these pieces of junk? I've found that you lose a certain amount of feel when making small automatic applications, especially when making minimum reductions.

The independant handles don't move as well, and bail off is almost impossible due to the handle flex.

They're crap IMO -

ya'lls thoughts?

TxBritt
To each his own. I carry a plastic (Durox) automatic-brake handle in my grip. When I'm unfortunate enough to get one of our old junkers, the old iron handles are quickly replaced.

#170407  by Jim Greenwood

Not quite on-topic, how many have had the pleasure of using the old brass reversers? They're few and far between anymore.

#170416  by Jayjay1213

I have used them and even have one of my own that was in a unit going to scrap.

#170422  by Jim Greenwood

Jayjay1213 wrote:I have used them and even have one of my own that was in a unit going to scrap.
Man, I can't feature someone missing one of these little gems on a scrapper!

#170435  by thebigc

Jim Greenwood wrote:Not quite on-topic, how many have had the pleasure of using the old brass reversers? They're few and far between anymore.
About 20% of our units still have brass reversers. Got me thinking I might have to "preserve" one for posterity sometime soon. :wink:

#170436  by txbritt

I'd love to have one of those brass reversers, where could I find one, or would someone be willing to sell one?

TxBritt

#170439  by Jim Greenwood

txbritt wrote:I'd love to have one of those brass reversers, where could I find one, or would someone be willing to sell one?

TxBritt
They're available, problem is, most people hesitate to part with them.

#170490  by AmtrakFan

I know BNSF uses Plastic Reseveres I got one from someone who works there once.

#170494  by Jim Greenwood

AmtrakFan wrote:I know BNSF uses Plastic Reseveres I got one from someone who works there once.
Most all railroads use the plastic reversers now. IIRC, Amtrak uses the old brass gems.

#170499  by GOLDEN-ARM

TXBritt, send me a PM, with your address, and I will hook you up, for the cost of shipping. Regards :wink:

#170515  by thebigc

txbritt wrote:I'd love to have one of those brass reversers, where could I find one, or would someone be willing to sell one?

TxBritt
Wish I knew there was a market for them! Maybe I'll start carrying some plastic units and swap them out with the brass ones as I find them. :-D