Railroad Forums 

• Planned Service Suspensions (Was: Orange Line To Close...)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1605671  by dieciduej

Sort of on/off topic for this subject. How many students take the Orange Line?

Medford (where I live), Malden and Somerville go back to school tomorrow, 8/31. I here the press touting all these students that will be taking the Orange Line to school! Living in Meffa and a product of the Medford Public School system there is NO school close to school, closest being Madeleine Dugger Andrews about a mile away and a inconvenient walk or RT 134 bus, from Wellington. Also Malden Center which is close to Mystic Valley Regional Charter School. As for the shuttle bus routes in I still don't see conflict. So I think the media has hyped this up a little much.

That said I work in Boston and definitely the students use the Orange Line as their transportation method and I do foresee issues next week.
 #1605727  by Arborwayfan

The #39 bus is about to get busier when school starts. Lots of kids going to Boston Latin, for example, take a bus to Forest Hills and change to the 39. And I imagine that some regular OL riders are taking the 39 instead of the shuttlebuses, esp if they are headed to Northeastern or thereabouts.
 #1605738  by MBTA3247

At least in the afternoon, the T has bus trips that originate at Boston Latin (and presumably other schools as well) and spread out on several routes (there's one, for example, that's an extended Route 32 bus out to Wolcott Sq.)
 #1605813  by HenryAlan

dieciduej wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:51 am Sort of on/off topic for this subject. How many students take the Orange Line?

Medford (where I live), Malden and Somerville go back to school tomorrow, 8/31. I here the press touting all these students that will be taking the Orange Line to school! Living in Meffa and a product of the Medford Public School system there is NO school close to school, closest being Madeleine Dugger Andrews about a mile away and a inconvenient walk or RT 134 bus, from Wellington. Also Malden Center which is close to Mystic Valley Regional Charter School. As for the shuttle bus routes in I still don't see conflict. So I think the media has hyped this up a little much.

That said I work in Boston and definitely the students use the Orange Line as their transportation method and I do foresee issues next week.
My wife teaches in Malden, and does fairly often take the Orange Line, so that's at least one school on the North side that is OL accessible. That said, it's an elementary school, so none of her students are riding the train. I also doubt very many people use the Orange Line for local transit within Malden. Riders who use those stations are likely going to and from Boston.
MBTA3247 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:12 pm At least in the afternoon, the T has bus trips that originate at Boston Latin (and presumably other schools as well) and spread out on several routes (there's one, for example, that's an extended Route 32 bus out to Wolcott Sq.)
They also have the special bus routes in the morning. I think the schools most affected by this would be English High, Madison, the O'Bryan, and Charlestown HS.
 #1606094  by Arborwayfan

That's interesting about BLS students taking the Needham Line to Ruggles. Do you mean that is happening now, during the OL closure, or that it's common these days? When I was at Latin, student T passes weren't good on the CR and I didn't know of anyone who took the Needham Line to school.

I remember the special buses, kind of double-route buses. I used to take the BLS - Dedham Line one, which ran via Columbus Ave and Washington St without stopping and then ran as a 34, IIRC. But after a year or two, when I had friends in Hyde Park and West Roxbury, we would all ride the 39 together and change to our respective routes there. Those 39s were always packed, and since it doesn't take many people to pack a bus and there are something like 2,500 at Latin I suspect they still are. Been a while since I did that (class of 1992) but I don't see why now would be any different.
 #1606111  by diburning

When I was at Latin (class of '09), student passes were good up to Zone 2 (which covers the entire Needham line) and I noticed that the BC High students who live in Braintree can take a faster ride between JFK/UMass and Braintree. The commuter rail is free up to Zone 2 during the OL shutdown anyway.
 #1606591  by rethcir

MBTA General Manager Steve Poftak told reporters Tuesday that 82% of the work scheduled on the Orange Line has been finished, adding that there are more partial shutdowns to come and it could be the new normal for the T.

“Just five days left to go, we are in a great position to finish strong and on time,” Poftak said. “We want to get on top of this. Part of the FTA special directive on track maintenance directs us to get on top of this and stay on top of this and we’re committed to doing that.”