Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#12525  by thebigc

Well it's a big enough deal when I'm trying to make a hitch and my engineer can't see me. It's annoying and unsafe and I feel like a new guy using my radio when my engineer is a few feet away. Sorry, but I was hired in the hand signal era.

#22726  by nick11a

Any word or pictures yet on how these units are doing? I should think the first one would be complete and be in Mexico or wherever it goes for testing by now.

#22738  by DutchRailnut

Big C time to upgrade to Railroad 2004, Railroad 1982 IS OUTDATED. :D :D :D
Last week I was in Hornell and rode around the plant but saw no PL42ACs.
The two units are to be going to Pueblo Colorado (not Mexico) to AAR test center at: http://www.aar.com/ttci/index.htm but I believe two units from Spain are going there. The first two units at Hornell would be going direct to NJT after type approval at Pueblo.

#22743  by ABCD

The units in Hornell are progressing steadily, and I hear they should be in Test in the next 2 weeks. That is always a good sign because once Test releases them they are usually shipped.

#22776  by nick11a

^Good, that means pictures should be coming soon. Pardon me while I drool. :drool:

#22817  by TAMR213

Hopefully everything goes smoothly out at Pueblo. Don't see why it wouldn't. So, would this mean the units are already out at the AAR test facility?

*Woo, Finally a contributer (does a dance)*

#23739  by F40

I might be a late bloomer, but when did MNRR receive C5's? And where are these used?

What are the tech specs of the PL42AC? The length is the hugest locomotive I've ever seen!

What is the WMATA-type car next to the MNRR equipment in one of the previous pics?

From which train did the picture-taker take the ALSTOM pics of the covered shells?
 #23744  by F40

Here goes again:

1) What is the WMATA-type equipment next to the MNRR C5's on FL9AC's pics?

2) When did MNRR start receiving C5's and where are they found?

3) On what line (train) was the pics taken of the ALSTOM building in Hornell?

4) What are some tech specs for the PL42AC's?

#23750  by Irish Chieftain

Metro-North's Comet Vs are for West-of-Hudson operation (Hoboken to Port Jervis or Spring Valley). There have been cars operating out of Hoboken wearing Metro-North logos for decades, these being Comet IA, Comet IIB and Comet IIS most commonly (the IIS being the same as the "Shoreliner I" that operates out of Grand Central). There also used to be an RDC shuttle that operated between Suffern and Port Jervis in the 1980s. All trains are operated by NJ Transit. You won't ever see Comet Vs in GCT unless the proposed Tappan Zee rail bridge is built...

The WMATA-like trains belong to MARTA, which operates in Atlanta, Georgia. (Yes, those stripes look very NJT-ish, don't they...? Acronym stands for "Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority." Their website: www.itsmarta.com)

The PL42AC is 69 feet 10 inches long. Weight is a whopping 144 tons. Horsepower is 4200. Tractive effort is 69,975 lbs. (Source here.)

The pictures weren't taken from a train. They were taken at the Alstom facility in Hornell, NY.

#24088  by BigDell

I'm guessing its me...

I just find these new locomotives to be butt-ugly.

Maybe its the Lowrey influence on my life these past 40 years, but I think they REALLY NEED TO ROUND THOSE EDGES a bit, put a longer forward snout on it and make it look a bit more like an.... E8 or E9.

Damn thing looks like a shoebox with little windows.

Sorry - I like my locomotives rounded.... (Think E's and RS-3's... and GG-1's....)

;-)
BigDell

#24099  by Irish Chieftain

You suggest E-units, I think TR-00 Bob will want to shoot you. Bad visibility, or so he has revealed in the past...

#24100  by hsr_fan

Yeah, I was in the cab of an old E or F unit once (it was on display in Conway, New Hampshire). I can see how the visibility would be quite poor!

#24145  by Tri-State Tom

I'm with BigDell on the ugliness....but the older I get the more I miss E8's, F7's, GP7's, GG1's and RS3's.

I've been in the cabs of E's, F's, Alco Centuries, U34's and P42's....and while all have some form of poor visibility, by far the worst was the P42. 0

These late model units seem designed for long-distance, high-speed travel as opposed to stop and go commuter operations. An ALP46 is to me a classic example of this.

#24244  by nick11a

FINALLY BACK! My six siblings have done our family computer in for good so I had to find a REALLY long chord so I could get back online. Hardest three days of my life. :)

Anyway, I say again, I like the design of the PL42ACs and I think once delivered, many will like it too when they see it.

#24280  by BigDell

Irish Chieftain wrote:You suggest E-units, I think TR-00 Bob will want to shoot you.
Good heavens, lets hope not! ;-D
Bad visibility, or so he has revealed in the past...
But its not about the guys driving the trains.
It's about what's aesthetically pleasing to the railfans.

;-D !!!

No, I do understand wanting to make a loco that is efficient and with high visibility... I just wish they could do so with some style...
Automotive manufacturers are bringing back some of the old car designs (or at least retro-styling) with great success. I wish some locomotive manufacturer would take the hint.

But I'll give young Nick the benefit of the doubt. I'll wait and see what the first one in NJT paint looks like as it pulls into Westfield Station where I'm not allowed to photograph it...

...pardon me whilst I go shopping for a Chevy SSR!
:-)
BigDell