Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#9124  by nick11a

Well, we were close- they are almost delivered at least. The highest cab I have seen in service is 6073 (which all makes sense now). I always thought these new cars would sit around the yard for a while before being used. It seems like though however they are put into service relatively quickly.

It seems like they took a short break from manufactuing NJT's equipment to build MTA's equipment.

#9273  by ABCD

I believe there are about 14 more cabs to go. I am not sure if they are all going to NJT or Metro North. I seen 6079 in the shop yesterday all the rest of the cabs do not yet have number plates so I can't tell where they are going.

#9291  by nick11a

Well, supposedly 6079 is the last one for NJT. The rest I guess will be going to MTA.

#9311  by DutchRailnut

Metro North only gets 15 Cab cars and 4 were shipped I believe, so of the to built cabs 11 would be MNCR and 4 or 5 NJT's
are any of toilet trailers started yet ??
or still straight trailers.

#9378  by AEM7AC920

Those are some beautiful shots I love the shiny new cars :D
 #12425  by FL9AC

Hey all,

Thought I'd update the progress on the PL42AC's being built at the Alstom facility at the moment with a few pics taken anonymously.
Enjoy them! :)

#12431  by Irish Chieftain

IMHO, the class resembles a cross between a Genesis and a "Winnebago" (Amtrak's F69PH and Metra's F40PHM).

#12435  by Jihn z

They're intimidating.... almost scary lol

#12441  by njt4172

OH, I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THOSE THINGS ENTER SERVICE! What a variety they will make tagged along with the F40s, 4200 series GP40s and the Metro-North types.....Railfanning will get a little more interesting on the Boonton,Bergen Main, etc etc........And since the Comet I's will be around for a little while longer they will look strange paired with the older equipment.....

Steve

#12460  by Mudvalve

That first photo, with the way the light is, reminds me of a football player.
I'm guessing the top openings above the windshield are the number boards, which look like eye brows. Not sure what the openings under the windshield are for, but that reminds me of the "blackout" that is under a players eyes. Scary.

#12471  by Tri-State Tom

Like the ALP46's, there's that wide hunk of sheet metal on either side of the cab area....that REALLY has to block ALOT of the enginer's side view. And where is the engineer's seat....in the middle of that right side front window ? If so, does the seat swing over so that the engineer can look out that side window when needed ?

#12500  by DutchRailnut

Tom the blind spot is no bigger or smaller than the ALP-46
The side view won't have a thing to do with running a train since whatever happens in that corner can not be avoided anyway.

#12502  by DutchRailnut

and yes the seat will be in center of the right window as can be seen in this control panel diagram.
http://www.ble272.org/Cabinteriordrawing.htm

#12514  by thebigc

Yeah, that blind spot looks about the same; enormous.

#12520  by TR-00

The "blind spot" is not the big deal that many seem to think it is. Every motor has a blind spot (you can't see the track close ahead on the beloved E-8's or F-40's) and forward visibility to the left is poor on the geeps. The ALP-46 has proven it is a non-issue.

No, the seat won't slide closer to the side window. If we need to look back, we use a piece of high technology known as a mirror.