Railroad Forums 

• PL-1 Job Central Connecticut PAS Pan Am Southern

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1347333  by BostonUrbEx

I don't know where Devon is, but it definitely isn't Derby. Also I see no sign of a wye, past or present, at the location where this is proposed. It appears to be Highland Jct as far as I can tell. Not sure on the precise location. I'm surprised PAR is pursuing an operating so far from anything else. Plainville is already the red-head step child of Pan Am. Now they're going to be venturing over to Waterbury?

EDIT: looks like the property is bound by PAR's Waterbury Branch, the Naug's branch, and Thomaston Ave.
 #1347365  by Backshophoss

The farest PAR(PAS?) wanders to on MN's Waterbury Branch,is a siding near Derby Jct,as interchange with MN
for Ballast cars(empties to PAR/loads back to MN),believe the yard at Waterbury station is the interchange point
with the Naugy.
Highland Jct to Waterbury Yard is "Joint use" between PAR(PAS?) and the Naugy.
 #1347669  by Scalziand

Oops, that's clearly not a wye. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, gmaps has the property in question being on the freight siding that goes to the scrap yard across the river.
 #1356256  by newpylong

Talks about PL-2 coming back to handle ballast out of Tilcon for the Amtrak Springfield line double track project. This used to be a job when I started on the RR but the crew got stolen too much and Tilcon dropped us.
 #1356689  by Plainvilletrainbuff

The address is 642 Black Rock Ave, New Britain, CT. I would imagine they would truck the ballast to the other side of the highway where the old loading platforms are. The last time I went through the area there were trees and brush growing up through the tracks in the loading area. Also there used to be a siding along the highway for the overflow of cars but I believe that was recently taken out.
 #1359587  by Plainvilletrainbuff

I drove by the old Tilcon siding yesterday on the Plainville/New Britain line and it was completely cleared of brush. It would be great to see another customer come online, even if it is just for a temporary job. Maybe PAR can prove that they are able to be reliable and Tilcon will start using rail in this area again.
 #1359616  by gokeefe

My goodness yet another PL local?? Is there anywhere that Pan Am does run down there at this point?
 #1371835  by BostonUrbEx

Does anyone know when the Homer St UGB in Waterbury was replaced? It looks pretty modern. I'm guessing it was a ConnDOT job, despite being on PAS trackage. It's probably the best looking piece of infrastructure on the whole branch.
 #1389078  by johnpbarlow

Looks like Pan Am won't be getting any public upgrade $ for the Waterbury-Berlin track...

http://www.courant.com/community/bristo ... story.html

Excerpt re: bumping up speed to 25mph just for freight service:
Just restoring the privately owned 24-mile rail line to good condition for moderate-speed freight trains will cost more than $100 million, the DOT said. "The company would certainly have to bear the bulk of that investment. It's not going to come from the state," DOT Planning Director Mark Carlino told a half-dozen listeners at the public library on Thursday night. "The state of Connecticut is not looking to put that level of investment in," Carlino said.
Cost to upgrade infrastructure to facilitate passenger service would exceed $0.5B.

I'm guessing Pan Am is not too concerned about this...
 #1389128  by MEC407

That's insanity. The passenger upgrade from Portland to Brunswick, which is a similar distance, was around $30 million if I recall correctly...?