Railroad Forums 

• Pittsford NY caboose

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#612389  by bluegrass-express

Wondering if anyone knows where this caboose came from. I read an ad for a skateboard shop in Pittsford NY, near Schoen Place along the Erie Canal, saying "look for the caboose." Another railfan told me it previously lived at the Depot Restaurant in Pittsford, near where the West Shore and abandoned Auburn Road cross(ed). Looks like B&O lines to me...
Looks in pretty good shape, but I didn't venture in - I heard the sound of skateboards bouncing off the walls. :(
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1422845
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1422848
 #612427  by CRHauf

Scot,

It has P&S COTS markings on its air system under the car as an FYI. They are a definite way to id the heritage of a car, but they do offer some insight.

Until later,
Chris
 #612442  by Otto Vondrak

CRHauf wrote: It has P&S COTS markings on its air system under the car as an FYI.
COTS? So this car was still active into the 1970s before coming to Pittsford?
 #612552  by CRHauf

Otto,

Offhand, I don't remember the dates or if there were any. I know I saw P&S stenciling somewhere on the brake system on the side that faces where the Auburn Road which would be the side shown second picture linked in the first post. It had set for some time unoccupied having been a curtain shop for many years, and I was poking around it a little to get a feel for what it would take to preserve, although no preservation will be taking place with a $35K asking price! Next time I am down there, I will take a look.

I think that is a crossing shanty or railroad building (tool house?) of some type to right of the car visible in the second photo. I can only imagine what it all looked like with active tracks behind it...

Until later,
Chris
 #615389  by BR&P

The names may be similar but their cabooses were not, The caboose at Pittsford was P&S, not PS&N.
 #1391866  by scottychaos

BR&P wrote:Did they say $35,000??? Image
They are probably assuming that their upgrades to the interior now catagorize it as a tiny house or a cottage, not just a caboose, justifying the asking price..
They are wrong obviously! ;) but that's probably their logic..

Scot
 #1391868  by BR&P

scottychaos wrote:
They are probably assuming that their upgrades to the interior now catagorize it as a tiny house or a cottage, not just a caboose, justifying the asking price..
They are wrong obviously! ;)

Scot
Well, we don't know that yet. The market sets the price - all it takes is one person to want it and spend the $$, and then it IS worth it. To me those mods make it less valuable, not more so.