Railroad Forums 

• COMPASS RAIL: Pittsfield / Springfield / Boston East-West Passenger Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1595294  by Arborwayfan

BBY should absolutely have high-level platforms on the B&A not just on the B&P! (Which would make the case for automatic doors for fast all-door boarding on the line even better :wink: )

What's left of the B&A right-of-way is too precious to keep using it for the 1960s rump of a early-20th-century commuter operation; got to use it for a 21st-century operation that would move a lot more people, more conveniently, faster.
 #1595437  by troffey

BandA wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:37 pm If, for example, you put a Commuter Rail station on the Grand Junction at Main St Cambridge, it would be valid to call that Kendall since it is so near the red line station and it is pretty close to Kendall Sq.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but given previous T practices I think you'd be more likely to see it named Tech Square since it doesn't physically connect to the existing Kendall/MIT station.
 #1595479  by cle

Total deviation from the Boston focus, but Chatham, NY. Does anyone have more information on that as an infill station?It's a nice little town, and would be a railhead for a pretty popular region - likely to be the heritage station which exists now?
 #1595568  by cle

Indeed. I'm curious if there is any information about whether it would re-use the legacy station, or a different site - also if the Lake Shore might stop there too? Especially if it is planned to still skip Hudson - which is a similar catchment and a big anomaly right now.
 #1595570  by mbrproductions

This is pure speculation but I would say that the legacy station is probably not going to be used, Whenever towns that used to have passenger rail service get it back, they usually go for new locations that tend to be outside of the town center. This is usually because the old station buildings are incapable of hosting accessible platforms for ADA compliance, I don't know if this is the case with the Chatham station building or not as I have only ever seen it on satellite imagery. This isn't to say that there aren't exceptions or that it's sealed that the Historic Chatham building won't be used, but it is considerably likely that they will settle for a new location.
 #1595590  by MBTA3247

The legacy station is now a bank, so it's probably out of consideration. There is a fair amount of underused railroad property immediately west of it, though, with plenty of room to put in a siding with a high-level platform.
 #1596548  by Safetee

a sad waste of tax payer dollars by a few politicians hell bent on their vision of Springfield as the new transportation mecca of western mass.

similar to the knowledge corridor, throwing lots of dollars at very little demand. Pittsfield has little or no desire to go east but possibly might have interest going west. and springfield...... already has a variety of transportation options to and from boston including rail and how much does the late shore carry now?.

in the mean time, the south coast project is trying to shoe horn its traffic into south station. Goina take a ton of money and years if ever to bring the B&A passenger fantasy into fruition. All the other govt dollars spent in the 50s and 60s creating super highways at the expense of rail infrastructure is the price of the rail piper to be paid.
 #1596552  by QB 52.32

Pretty clear that the real value and what will ultimately be realized in this will be in re-establishing the Northeast Corridor Inland Route, not only connecting Boston and Worcester with Springfield, Hartford, etc., but also New England's 2nd largest city and fastest growing metro area, Worcester, with the Northeast Corridor.