Railroad Forums 

• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1289558  by Sir Ray

Just wondering, since Coastal is obviously still functioning, does anyone know how the lawsuits that Babylon township brought against it were finally resolved.
Latest I could find was this legal document from August 2013, which without some effort I cannot readily determine what the outcome was.

Any info?
 #1311416  by tj48

Few days ago was at Airport plaza. There was a NYA train waiting for a east bound LIRR train to pass. The NYA train had a MP15AC up front, apx 15 C&D cars and a GP38-2 on the rear. When the LIRR train had passed the NYA freight headed west. I wasn't right next to the tracks, and I know the MP15AC's can be quite loud, and maybe it was just the acoustics, but from my vantage point I could swear by the sound the train was being pushed by the GP38-2.
 #1311433  by AlKaLI

tj48:

You probably are right that the GP38-2 was pushing. Don't know it you had time to witness, but I've seen that after switching Coastal the NY&A will head west out of the siding and have the dipsatcher throw the West switch to head east. I thought there was a problem with the East switch (see separate post about this that jayrmli answered). It appears that they would rather have the switch thrown for them and back-out of the siding. That you mentioned there was an EB LIRR train just adds more to it. They probably backed out and followed it.

On a separate note, there seems to be a seasonal slowdown at Coastal. The pile of C&D debris has been worked all the way down. It almost looks that what they receive daily gets loaded that day. Coastal also seems to have acquired some newer or rebuilt hi-side gons. They still have the ex coal service bathtub gons but also have some new-looking (black) C&D gons. I've also seen some cars that look like old 50' Aislide covered hoppers that have had the top removed and the sides extended with CDEX reporting marks.

Posillico next door may be ramping down as well. Paving season is probably drawing to a close for the winter. I have not seen any deliveries of stone lately except for 1 (bad order?) 3-bay hopper. The Trackmobile has been gone for a few weeks as well.
 #1311451  by DogBert

Those newer c&d cars have been around awhile - they have a bunch of different reporting markings, though I'm pretty sure some have slowly been changed to CDEX. Seems like there's a few less on the CSX train every day, though plenty of general merch to make up for it.

P&W hasn't come to town this week with any stone trains (maybe they ran monday - i forget offhand), so I suspect none of the stone customers will be getting regular service until march.
 #1328285  by AlKaLI

Way overdue to bump this thread.

Over the winter, Coastal added another section of fencing with green netting on the West side near the shed which protects the C&D pile.
So the fence along New Highway from about the grade crossing to the 1st truck entrance is double high, say 16'. Pretty sure this was done as a windblock as previously posted Coastal use to park one C&D gon on the west side of the wye on their property for this purpose.

Posillico, across the highway, is receiving cars again and also has something in the works. It looks like a new horizontal conveyor is being constructed (to move gravel?).
It starts just about where the dump pits are for the railcars now and goes to the west. This started in March 2015. Will try to take and post pictures.

In general: Coastal seems to be back to loading 10-12 cars (daily). Posillico gets, unloads and then releases 16 cars at a time. Would like to get an idea about the frequency of their gravel shipments. Have seen occasions where the RS-80 is about 30 cars coming into Farmingdale - 16 loads of gravel and 10-15 empty C&D gons.
 #1382157  by AlKaLI

Looking over this thread and see it's almost a year since anything.

Funny, though, the report from April 2015 is almost the same as April 2016.
Posillico has started receiving cars of gravel again. In recent weeks had not seen anything, but last evening showed about 16 empty cars. The Trackmobile was in the gated area.

Coastal's yard and lead track had loads ready for pick-up. Probably close to 12 loads. The shed was packed with debris almost to the ceiling. I was hoping to see the NY&A switch both last night but couldn't hang around. Coastal needs their usual empties again.
 #1382170  by Sir Ray

AlKaLI wrote:Funny, though, the report from April 2015 is almost the same as April 2016.
Well, stable industrial operations (NOT a given on Long Island) should have somewhat similar reports year over year.

"Interesting times" for Long Island industries tend never to be a good thing - just ask the (soon to be former) workers at Quantum Medical imaging...
 #1488287  by AlKaLI

mwichten wrote:Is Posillico expanding again? The building along the sidings was taken down.
I would say "yes". Posillico knocked down the warehouse building, dug out the ground and is installing some new equipment north of their spur in Farmingdale. Not sure what they are doing yet. Passed by the site on 10-8-18. There were no aggregate cars in their sidings. Even the Trackmobile was not seen.

Coastal had empties in their yard. They have been steadily loading and sending out C&D at their usual clip of 12-18 cars.

Asked this in the LIRR forum, anyone know if the turnout at the west end of (formerly) double ended freight (DEF) siding will be replaced?
This was removed during the recent double track work by the LIRR. NY&A trains have to back in from the east switch to service Coastal and Posillico.

Maybe our friend Gregory can shed some light?
 #1488371  by DaveBarraza

AlKaLI wrote:anyone know if the turnout at the west end of (formerly) double ended freight (DEF) siding will be replaced?
Asked some people where were working on the project recently. The plan is to put it back, probably done by the holidays.
 #1489366  by gregorygrice

AlKaLI wrote:
mwichten wrote:Is Posillico expanding again? The building along the sidings was taken down.
I would say "yes". Posillico knocked down the warehouse building, dug out the ground and is installing some new equipment north of their spur in Farmingdale. Not sure what they are doing yet. Passed by the site on 10-8-18. There were no aggregate cars in their sidings. Even the Trackmobile was not seen.

Coastal had empties in their yard. They have been steadily loading and sending out C&D at their usual clip of 12-18 cars.

Asked this in the LIRR forum, anyone know if the turnout at the west end of (formerly) double ended freight (DEF) siding will be replaced?
This was removed during the recent double track work by the LIRR. NY&A trains have to back in from the east switch to service Coastal and Posillico.

Maybe our friend Gregory can shed some light?

The switch will eventually be put back in. Until then, one job pulls the cars, the other spots them.
 #1494162  by AlKaLI

Passed by Coastal on Saturday afternoon. The yard is now four tracks wide. Originally, it was two tracks, then Coastal added a third in 2014 and now the fourth.
The new track is on the west side of the yard. This area had been where Coastal used to park its tractor trailers along the fence along New Highway.
Saturday afternoon showed cars on all four tracks. There are now four yellow bumpers at the north end of the yard.

Posillico is doing something as well. After demolishing the warehouse on the other side of New Highway, they had been digging something out. Now there are several buildings and tanks? being constructed. There were GATX hoppers on their tracks and the Trackmobile was parked in its usual spot.

Looks like business is good in Farmingdale and for the NY&A.
 #1494187  by rb

Wonder if they will be bringing in asphalt cement by rail. If so, a new commodity for NYAR.