Railroad Forums 

• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1030381  by Sir Ray

tj48 wrote:
Sir Ray wrote: I'd like to think that Poscillico is finally getting a siding, but of course railroads are unsuitable for carrying large quantities of bulk construction materials like stone, gravel, or cement.
Ever seen the Astro Ready Mix operation in Deer Park?
My response was snark - from the very beginnings of railroads have excelled at hauling large (for the respective era) quantities of bulk materials - possibly the only more efficent method of transporting bulk freight is cargo ships and barges. However, for whatever reason, what at first glance seems to be an obvious candidate for rail freight usage is not using rail, due to business practices, politics, poor service, or various other reasons.
Let's hope that Poscillico has seen the light...
 #1030458  by freightguy

I caught the irony, lol. Poscillico was who unloaded the cars at PW. A few years later they were implicated in contract rigging and the stone car count significantally dropped off. Most of the LI stone comes from the P&W and CP(CSX), after 1996 Conrail agreed to let P&W bring the stone to Fresh Pond Jct from Conn. They probably bring more now than ever before thanks to US Rail. Alot of stone comes to Long Island via rail. I think in the city it is harder to beat the rate over the barges and how much they can transfer at the ports.
 #1034735  by tj48

Just happen to drive by the grade again today. Could look like that beyond the grade Poscillico could be leveling the ground. On a side note Poscillico also happens to be repairing or rebuilding New Highway between Smith St and the grade crossing.
 #1054753  by vin5581

The area that is the topic of discussion is indeed a new siding. I was at the asphalt plant today and asked about it. It will be completed by the end of the year. Stone will be brought in from a stone Quarry that the company deals with. I do not know how it will tie into the main.
 #1104967  by tj48

Passed by the other day, noticed a rather good sized pile of what looked like new ties on the west side of the red warehouse.
 #1106986  by BobLI

Are there any pictures of the area where the new siding is going to be built?
 #1107163  by jayrmli

Without seeing it myself, my guess is it is going to be off the switch at the west end of PW Long Siding that was used to access the Conservative Express building on New Highway.
 #1120861  by tj48

Was on New Highway about 1 hour ago. 2 things....
Coastal's business looks like its booming. The pile is out the end of the building. Many trucks waiting to unload. MRRX C&D cars http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2910678 were being filled.

On the other side of New Highway there was a crew with a small Caterpillar crawler excavater working along the side of the red warehouse. It could look like they dug down a bit and were grading the area. A further bit to the west there was another construction crew using a concrete pumper.
 #1120898  by Sir Ray

tj48 wrote:Coastal's business looks like its booming.
Which is quite interesting as Coastal lost it's case to the town of Bablyon and Pinelawn Cemetary in 2011!
I can find nothing really later than that, anyone know what happen since, and how the issue was finally resolved?
 #1120959  by SwingMan

They get cars switched pretty much daily I believe..and their cars are starting to overflow into other places.
 #1121303  by tj48

From what I saw yesterday Coastal was in need of more cars than they had. There was a line of about 7 loaded cars coming out of east side the building and the cars inside the facility were also full. Did not see any empty cars waiting to be loaded.
 #1124914  by tj48

The work on the west side of New Highway is progressing. Working in the area today were a bulldozer, front end loader and a pavement roller. The excavating and leveling has reached the edge of New Highway and is following the curve of the old west leg of the wye. It also looked like they were excavating/leveling right up to the edge of the double ended siding that parallels both the warehouse and Coastal from the west wye switch to the west.