Railroad Forums 

• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1173333  by jayrmli

The bumping block is probably installed as a safety measure so an errant car wouldn't roll out onto New Highway. While the basic configuration of the tracks creates a wye, the chance to turn anything on it is probably zero since Coastal occupies one half of it. Coastal never uses the west leg. Due to FRA regs they can only access the east leg themselves. As I've mentioned the west leg of the wye was always a dangerous proposition anyway because you can back up traffic over the main line, causing the potential for a fatal wreck. (There was specific rules in the LIRR Special Instructions regarding using the west leg because of this.)
 #1174184  by AlKaLI

Jayrmli, thanks for the answer. I can understand the bumper being used to keep cars from rolling onto New Highway. It will be interesting to see if the new "tail track" gets used as a lead to the asphalt plant. I was just wondering why they built the new track, curved it into to the wye and joined it together. Why not just place the track parallel to the PW siding and put the bumper on it? I think they connected to the wye . . . just to keep us railfans guessing.
 #1174219  by hrfcarl

Passed the area on LIRR today: Did I see correct that the bumper on the wye into Coastal west of New Highway is now gone?

Guess that bumper was as permanent as it looked...lol ;-)
 #1174632  by AlKaLI

The bumper has been removed. I passed by the area this afternoon to see that it's gone. You can see where the ballast around the rails was moved away.
 #1176354  by hrfcarl

It's baaaccckkkk...yes, the bumper on that wye into Coastal is in place again! Maybe fitted then removed to allow the track vehicles easier access to/from site and now replaced with job done?
 #1176425  by LINYARailfan

Does anybody know when the new NYA Customer Posillico is going to start getting cars? This week?? If so what date so I can plan to catch this. Thanks
 #1176538  by AlKaLI

hrfcarl is correct again. I drove by Saturday morning and saw the bumper in place, the ballast smoothed out and all the RR construction equipment gone. It looks as though the tracks are ready for use. freightguy or jayrmli, any word?
 #1178004  by Teutobergerwald

Passed through there yesterday around 1230. LIRR personnel and a couple of trucks were doing some work and the bumper was in place. No contractors or equipment were there, and there was no NYA activity, and just business as usual at Coastal. What would the LIRR personnel be doing? Inspecting the new work prior to use by NYA and the new customer there? Thanks.
 #1178010  by hrfcarl

Passed by on LIRR this morning: cars at the new site - train was moving, so guessing about 6-10 hoppers with the "porches" at the ends (ortners?).
 #1179241  by AlKaLI

Passed by Saturday morning and counted ten TLTX Ortner cars loaded with aggregate. Looks like Tilcon has another customer now on LI. But Posilico did not seem to be in any hurry to unload them. If hrfcarl saw them on Friday morning, they probably were delivered Thursday night on the RS-80. All 10 still loaded on Sat.

At Coastal, they had loads all the way onto the siding. It almost looked as there were about 25 cars as if Friday's loads were just pulled out onto the siding and additional empties spotted.
 #1179273  by AlKaLI

Steve:

Where was that picture taken? Those are exactly the cars at Posilico, the asphalt plant. In fact in the current string there is a mix of gray and red cars just as in the photo. But the I-beam in the background makes me think of along the NE corridor.

You need aggregate (gravel) to make asphalt so now Posilico will be receiving carloads.
Why Ortner designed the cars with platforms is unknown. I do know they are considered "rapid discharge" cars and can empty their load quickly. Maybe the boxy design created the need for the platforms?
 #1179287  by nyandw

AlKaLI wrote:Steve: Where was that picture taken? Those are exactly the cars at Posilico, the asphalt plant. In fact in the current string there is a mix of gray and red cars just as in the photo. But the I-beam in the background makes me think of along the NE corridor. You need aggregate (gravel) to make asphalt so now Posilico will be receiving carloads.
Why Ortner designed the cars with platforms is unknown. I do know they are considered "rapid discharge" cars and can empty their load quickly. Maybe the boxy design created the need for the platforms?
I did a google for TLTX Ortner images so we could see the car type. Not LIRR/NYA photos.

Here's a nice file by Rawson Materials concerning SKY Materials, Maspeth and ASTRO MASONRY, Deer Park http://www.nears.org/images/2011/Shippe ... Rawson.pdf that sure explains the process nicely.

Why these type of hoppers used and at Posilico? I see the silos: Image Farmingdale concrete plant
view NW 3-23-13 Photo: Steve Routhaug

Yes, they may be labeled wrong as concrete plant, perhaps asphalt, or?

Should we move this to a new thread? Farmingdale Posilico Plant, as this evolves?
 #1179558  by AlKaLI

Steve:

I've been spelling it wrong. It is Posillico as in Posillico Materials. They even have a website. http://www.posillicoinc.com/content/con ... materials/
Across New Highway from Coastal Distribution, Posillico is an asphalt plant that has supplied paving materilas for such projects as the nearby Republic Airport runways and for roads on Long Island like the LIE. I know from past threads that they were looking to receive aggregate by rail. So it maybe time for a separate thread. Those 10 Orntner cars are their first loads. The recent new trackage at the Farmingdale wye included unloading tracks for gravel. You can see them in Steve R's pictures on your website. They are receiving cars with bottom discharge and then will stockpile the gravel in piles or right to the plant. I imagine they will move it by front-end loader or perhaps the pit will have a conveyor?? I will have to see if I can go by and take a picture or two.
 #1179704  by DogBert

In comparison, Sky/Superior (sign says superior now) in Maspeth gets the GATX cars that are more traditional looking hopper cars. It seems to take them at least a week to unload cars. Same with Kings on the bushwick branch - though they get fewer cars (usually tltx).

There was a thread for keeping track of stone train movements, maybe it'd be best to merge the two. Seems like every year there is at least one new stone customer somewhere in NY&A territory.