Railroad Forums 

• Pine-Aire

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1311555  by jayrmli

However you bring up a good point, if these costumers are still around after the double tracking project some sort of crossover is going to have to be put in to be able to get back east to Pineaire. It will be interesting to see what they will do. I doubt they will want freights running all the way from Farmingdale to Deer Park on number one track. I'm sure an interlocked crossover will be added somewhere with the double track project between those two points.
My guess will be JS will remain as an interlocking location. It will also give more flexibility to the dispatcher crossing over and running trains around.
 #1312485  by DaveBarraza

Rode through yesterday. Pilgrim is connected to the new longer siding (which starts right after Deer Park) and the longer siding is now connected to the new yard east of there.
 #1321281  by Teutobergerwald

Pine-Aire Yard and the long siding west of it have been empty for the past few days, except for some NYA power laying over at the east end of the yard, which hasn't seemed to move in the same amount of time. A GP38-2 is the west-facing power visible here while passing over on the Sagtikos Parkway overpass.
 #1321701  by Teutobergerwald

Yard full of tankcars, mostly, and some other assorted rolling stock tonight, with some NYA power parked at the east end of it.
 #1328566  by mainline

Tuesday night was a first for the NYA. Pine Aire to Fresh Pond was a 74 car train. They only used two engines a 1500 and GP38-2. The largest train I witnessed was a 54 car train which included 30 empty stone from Prima.
 #1329870  by LRail

Mainline- I think you posted a pic of that years ago didn't you?
 #1329937  by freightguy

Definitely not a first. My buddy had a 77 car train out of Pineaire a few years back. I would say on the DEF probably around 85 car capacity with new extension. With some shorter 40/45' stone cars maybe more give or take. If Gershow and BRT are busy should be some decent size trains. Certainly more busy now than in past 5-10 years towards the East end.
 #1331825  by mainline

LRail might have been in Railroads Illustrated. My last article on the NYA. Greg I wouldn't be surprised. We will call it the Engineers first. Maybe with this new power coming they can run 100 car trains.
 #1331908  by jayrmli

Maybe with this new power coming they can run 100 car trains.
Don't think the 100 car trains are very likely. Nowhere to hide the train and/or clear up. From what I've heard, they will try to keep train lengths at 70 car max.
 #1331976  by mainline

Jay how's it going? I know you guys would like longer trains out to BRT. Not much rail fanning in Suffolk County. How many crews are the NYA running lately. Got a phone call from DC to see if I was still alive.