Railroad Forums 

• Pilgrim State

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1103999  by Teutobergerwald

Any possibility of NYA adding trackage at Pilgrim State alongside the existing spur to expand capacity there, or is that moot due to local NIMBYism and the new Brookhaven facility? What is the capacity of the existing spur and how often is it used?
 #1104270  by jayrmli

I would be hard to develop additional yard space there as that property is owned by the state and considered parkland. Of course, if anything were built, it would bring the usual chorus of tree huggers out there. Remember the video I think posted on Youtube by some nut when they just cleared the track of overgrowth?
 #1107224  by RRJS3

Believe this would be the video in question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj6mbbb7WI8

Considering the increased track capacity at Pineaire, there doesn't seem to be much need for additional space on the Pilgrim spur. Actually, it's been a few months since I've even seen any cars stored there.
 #1107296  by jayrmli

Yes, that is the video I referred to. Thank you for re-sharing it here.

Operationally, there really isn't much of a need for the Pilgrim spur. It's only real usefulness would be short term storage of cars to go west. I know it was straight-railed a few years back after the derailment, and does not directly connect to the track adjacent to the Main Line, so it is also much more difficult to access.
 #1107523  by Teutobergerwald

And the switch at the west end of the siding has still not been repaired? WTF ???? Also, they should maintain the spur and not let nature close in on it again. It may be needed, and if it's operable & maintained, it gives those enviro's less of a case, I'd think.