Railroad Forums 

• Piggyback Flatcars in CSX Train .

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #48221  by WIN Tower

from Astoria Blvd. this morning i watched the CSX train above me on its way to Fremont . i saw about fifteen piggyback flatcars coupled together within the consist of the train . i thought they might be carrying rail or sheets of steel , but many of them had their trailer hitches in the upright position . anybody know where they were going and for what purpose ? or...were they misrouted ?

#48569  by jayrmli

They may be cars for a new customer located in Maspeth, who I have no other information on right now. All I know is he may become a fairly large customer. Stay tuned...

Jay

#48613  by WIN Tower

Jay , would that " he " be U.P.S. ?

#48762  by jayrmli

No, it's not UPS. I'm not sure of the name, but think trash.

Jay

#48864  by DogBert

loaded piggybacks can clear to/from Maspeth?

No piggybacks on the outbound csx train today... I believe P&W also went by around 9:45 this morning...

#48889  by WIN Tower

Jay , " trash " as in Waste Management ?

#48901  by jayrmli

I don't think it's Waste Management, but I could be wrong.

Also, they're not piggyback trucks, but I've heard containers on the flatcars (1 high).

Jay

#48908  by DogBert

Ah, like those green boxes out of the South Bronx...

LI & NYC's number one export: trash!

#52654  by WIN Tower

does anybody know what happened to the piggyback cars ?

#52669  by Jayjay1213

Some of the cars are still in Pond, and some are down in Maspeth waiting on the customer to start loading. He is still waiting on a permit before he kicks things off.

#53602  by WIN Tower

i took a quick look around Maspeth this afternoon and did not see any of the cars .

#54544  by Jayjay1213

They are in the back, alongside Star Corraguated. On the old rock track and on Jeanine.

#54676  by b&p rupture

what is the old rock track, and what is Jeanine?

#54824  by DogBert

rock track: i'll assume that's where the old ore cars were loaded with fill from the city water tunnel 3 project and shipped out to Prima...

which end of the yard is it at theough? east or west? how far back does that one track on the east end that turns south go (assuming it's still there)?

#55019  by rb

I think the south-curving track goes through Galasso Trucking and ends a few blocks to the south at a Chinese Food distributor (customer).