Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #601361  by Otto Vondrak

bluegrass-express wrote:One of the last B&O F units I found in Rochester was late 1975, with a nice mix of paint jobs.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/editPi ... id=1362396
Ah yes, they sent the cab units up to Rochester to spend their last days.
 #801721  by Jay Potter

I have some doubts about the 11-1-75 date of the photo of 4487 in Rochester, New York. As of June 1975, B&O had 30 F7s (26 A units and four B units) in service. By the end of that month, the railroad had routed all of those units to Cumberland, where they were taken out of service and placed in storage. This final group included 4487. Beginning in October, those units were routed to Newark, New Jersey for scrapping by Naporano Iron & Metal. According to Jim Mischke's B&O diesel roster book, the retirement date for 4487 was 8-5-75. So I think it's unlikely that 4487 or any other B&O F7 would have been operating anywhere on the system during November 1975.