Railroad Forums 

• Photos: Grand Central Terminal, NYC

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#304815  by LandDownUnder

While recently vacationing in the US, and spending a few days in New York City, it was mandatory for me to visit Grand Central Terminal on at least one occasion. Was absolutely spellbound by the beauty and magnitude of this facility, and also fortunate enough to go on the free Wednesday walking tours.

The following are my photographs from there.

Concourse

Interior Architecture

Exterior Architecture

Metro North Trains

The rest at:
http://gallerymaikha.photoblog.me.uk/c1070994.html

Also note the photos to be posted of New York Penn.

Enjoy!

#330388  by LandDownUnder

Hey all

I was curious to how many commuters a day use Grand Central Terminal. Would anyone know a good accurate (Or published) statistic on this?

Thanks!

#330542  by RearOfSignal

According to Wikipedia's GCT Entry:

Commuters: About 125,000 a day
Visitors: 575,000 a day

Not sure how accurate that number is, you also have to account for NYCT Subway commuters as well as Metro-North commuters, plus there are all the people use use the lower level for dining(try finding a seat during lunch-time), shopping, and general tourist, as well as those who work in the adjacent buildings which have direct access to GCT.

#330623  by pennsy

Howdy Mate;

Great photos, and interesting comments. Did you get a chance to roam around and chat with the shop keepers and the fellow travelers ? One thing I have noticed there over the years, if you start the conversation they will keep it going until you give up. NY'ers are friendly and talkative, only when you start the conversation and express an interest in what they have to say. Great way to find out what is going on. I believe that there are still some great restaurants etc. in GCT.