Railroad Forums 

• Photos from the "old days"

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#848511  by bmcdr

Several people have requested that I post a few old photos of everyday life on the B&M, these photos were taken by my father, who started on the B&M in 1946 and always brought his camera to work with him, as I do today.

First off, is a shot for Stephen, since he started the ball rolling. The roundhouse at Wilmington,Mass. taken Oct.31,1954. It is noted on the back of the photo that the last steam engine was removed from this facility on Saturday Oct.30,1954.
1 WILM.jpg
Next is a shot of the station at Reading Highlands,Mass. taken on June 23,1956. Train #114 is on the left, and #118 is on the right.
1 RDG H.jpg
Lastly, for now, is a shot of the old roundhouse at Reading Highlands taken on June 24,1951. Pacifics 3635-3642-3662-3651 are all live and ready to go.
1 RDG.jpg
 #848513  by MEC407

Beautiful photos! Your father had a good eye.
 #848587  by 3rdrail

Great photos, Dave ! I was imagining the sounds that those four old gals were making at the roundhouse. Keep 'em coming !
 #848596  by TPR37777

Wonderful photos. If you don't mind my asking, what did your father do, and what division did he primarily work on?
 #848937  by jaymac

bmcdr-
Thanks for keeping the memories alive, especially the memoryies that the tracks north of Boston weren't always nickle-and-dime in concept and execution.

No Actual Guilfords Were Harmed in This Nongratuitous Bashing.
 #848998  by Stephen

bmcdr wrote:Several people have requested that I post a few old photos of everyday life on the B&M, these photos were taken by my father, who started on the B&M in 1946 and always brought his camera to work with him, as I do today.

First off, is a shot for Stephen, since he started the ball rolling. The roundhouse at Wilmington,Mass. taken Oct.31,1954. It is noted on the back of the photo that the last steam engine was removed from this facility on Saturday Oct.30,1954.
THANKS!

bmcdr wrote:Next is a shot of the station at Reading Highlands,Mass. taken on June 23,1956. Train #114 is on the left, and #118 is on the right.
bmcdr, is the bridge in the back of the photo for Mineral Street or WIllow Street?

Thanks for all of your pictures (here and on NERAIL) and information,
Stephen
 #849125  by bmcdr

TPR37777 wrote:Wonderful photos. If you don't mind my asking, what did your father do, and what division did he primarily work on?
In the 1940's and 50's he was a Yard Inspector for the Freight Claims Dept., he finished his career as a Ticket Agent at Boston's North Station.
 #849221  by bmcdr

Stephen, that is the old Mineral Street overhead bridge, if you go to this spot today, you can still see the granite curbing for the station platform, its all there under the weeds.
Here's a couple more shots, the first was taken at Boston's North Station on March 3,1946, note the length of this "local", 11 cars, all wooden. The second was taken at Stoneham,Mass. on July 4,1954.
1 K 1.jpg
1 K 2.jpg
 #849224  by 3rdrail

More great shots. We are deeply indebted to your dad. It always still amazes me when I see familiar locations like the North Station Drawbrides shot that steam actually predominated. I've heard about it, read about it, seen it on video, etc., but outside of tourist railroads, I have never really seen it. For someone like myself born in 1951 or after, our minds tell us that there was never such a thing, which is why efforts like your dad's are so appreciated. They prove to us that it did.
 #849275  by Mcoov

Absolutely magnificent.
Do you happen to have any shots in any of the Boston yards?
 #849796  by bmcdr

Mcoov wrote:Absolutely magnificent.
Do you happen to have any shots in any of the Boston yards?
Dad took a lot of shots in Yard-2, mainly because that's where they stored steam engines and coaches.
 #850008  by Stephen

bmcdr wrote:Stephen, that is the old Mineral Street overhead bridge, if you go to this spot today, you can still see the granite curbing for the station platform, its all there under the weeds.
Thanks! I'll have to check this out during the late fall or winter when weeds and plants are not overgrown.

- Stephen
 #853130  by bmcdr

Engineer Spike wrote:Keep posting his pictures until you run out!
Okay, how about some color. First we have the "New Power for America" special on Track 22 in the North Station taken on May 27,1950.
1 ALCO 1.jpg
Portland-Boston train #1010 passing through Melrose,Mass. on May 13,1951.
1 E 1.jpg
And lastly we have train #5 the "Alouette" getting ready to depart North Station on August 4,1952.
1 CPR 1.jpg
 #853229  by 3rdrail

Beautiful, Dave ! Just when I thought that it couldn't get better ! I was amazed to see a Canadian Pacific diesel leading the Alouette out of North Station. I had always thought that their equipment got swapped on/off at the border or nearby like Burlington or White River Jct. Was it usual to see CP at North Station ?
Last edited by 3rdrail on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.