Railroad Forums 

• Photographing CSX Beacon Park Yard

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#207896  by Hudson Terminus

Hi,

I'll be taking a trip to Boston this week, and would like to know the best way to visit/photo the Beacon Park yard in Allston. I know where it is, and how to get there, but anyone willing to share some local knowledge would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!

#207910  by roberttosh

The best place is the Cambridge St bridge over the Western end of the yard. The yard fans out just beyond the bridge with the MBTA single track Main to the far right. During daylight hours you'll see maybe three EB Intermodals, maybe a mixed freight or two (including a unit garbage train) and a couple light engine moves. There's also a few WB Intermodals leaving the yard after nightfall beginning around 7:00 PM. In addition you'll see numerous MBTA commuter trains, an Amtrak train or two and the CSXT yard switcher shuffling cars around.

You can also get pictures of the engine facility from Storrow Drive or the bike path along the Charles River, but there are fences in the way and traffic is a nightmare. If you have time, Framingham is 15 miles West of downtown and has a bit more CSXT action and excellent access by way of the MBTA commuter station. Good luck!

#208661  by CSX Conductor

As for trying to photograph the engine house, another view is from Cambridge Street. If you drive to the area, you may have to pay to park in the Double Tree Hotel, although there are a few free spots on the outside of the garage.

There are several cctv cameras monitoring the property so make sure you don't wander into the property. :wink:

#209153  by rb

Enjoy your complimentary BPD interrogation!

#209473  by CSX Conductor

The BPD are stupid, they don't even question teens running from a railyard as they are entering the property in response to a call from the railroad that teens are breaking into railcars! Duh. :(

Anyways, how was your trip Hudson Terminus?

#209594  by Hudson Terminus

Just got back tonight. Didn't get many pictures as the light was failing when i arrived, but was able to see the yard and some light movement. No BPD troubles whatsoever, as I didn't give them (or anyone else) reason to bother me.

An enjoyable trip, however.

#211285  by NellsChoo

I tried to find the yard while driving back from a car show at the Museum of Transportation in Brookline. I ended up in a supermarket parking lot, and couldn't see much. Figuring I was about to get very lost, I just headed home... :(

#211465  by roberttosh

From Brookline, you probably could have taken Harvard Ave (which crosees Rt 9, Beacon St and Comme ave) all the way to where it ends right at Cambridge St (near the Sports Depot), which is just a stones throw (to the right) from the Beacon Park overpass. For future reference, if you're on the Mass Pike heading East, get off at the Allston/Cambridge exit right at Beacon Park (it's a left exit), pay the toll, then fork left following the signs for Allston/Brighton. You will make a nearly 180 degree turn to the right and merge right onto to Cambdridge St. Continue straight for about 1/2 mile and you will cross over the Pike and Beacon Park (to your left). Good luck!

#211559  by CSX Conductor

Nells, you could come from Fresh pond Parkway and get onto Memorial Drive to Western Avenue. At Western Avenue take a right onto the bridge over the Charles and take your first left onto Storrow Drive/Soldiers Field Road. Once you get on Soldiers Field Road stay towards the right and take the first right after the entrance for the Mass.Pike....this is Cambridge Street. If you want to get shots of the engine house you may want to park on Cambridge street or one of the side streets after going over the MassPike on-ramp and then walk back over the bridge as there is no parking on either side of the bridge. Should be a good amount of road power there anytime after noon. :wink: