Railroad Forums 

• Photo of Penn Station debris dumped in Meadowlands?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#477622  by radioboy

Does anyone have a link to this famous photo cited in the Wikipedia article on NYPS?

"A famous photograph of a smashed caryatid in the landfill of the New Jersey Meadowlands struck a guilty chord"
 #477851  by StLouSteve

I seem to recall a similar photo showing Penn Station "debris" dumped in the NJ meadowlands published in Oliver Jensen's American Heritage History of Railroads.

#477856  by Sir Ray

I think I know the photo you are talking about, it's been reproduced many times in many books; foreground was Pennsylvania Station debris (including bits of statues) laying in the Meadowlands, in the background was a MU commuter train.
I may have missed it, but I didn't see it in G. Norman's link, nor with Google image search.

#477919  by scottychaos

Sir Ray wrote:I think I know the photo you are talking about, it's been reproduced many times in many books; foreground was Pennsylvania Station debris (including bits of statues) laying in the Meadowlands, in the background was a MU commuter train.
I may have missed it, but I didn't see it in G. Norman's link, nor with Google image search.
thats the photo I thought of too..
that is most likely the "famous photo" that is referred to in the first post in this thread..its the one I was thinking of too..

but I cant seem to find it on-line.

Scot

#477949  by Sir Ray

I looked a bit more, no image yet, but perhaps it was by Alexander Hatos, who documented the demolition of the old Pennsylvania station, and the building of the new Penn Station + MSG.
You can start here: http://dlib.nyu.edu/findingaids/html/nyhs/hatos.html - Folder 2 has this note "One photo shows what appears to be debris removed from the station lying in a landfill (possibly at the Meadowlands)." Not much found on Mr Hatos by Google, so maybe meatspace research is needed...

Sorry, Best I can do right now...

#477992  by Sir Ray

And... I think I have it.
I brought a (used) copy from my Library years ago of the Ada Louise Huxtable book 'Will They Ever Finish Brucker Boulevard' (short answer - yes, and I have driven on it a number of times).
Anyway, opposite the title page, full page photo
Shattered 'Angel' statue in foreground (on it's back), about 40% of the image.
Surrounding it is various other bits of broken columns and other masonary in the middle of an empty grassy field
Behind that is (I guess) the NEC on a embankment, and the aforementioned 4car MU commuter train on it, w/ a signal bridge to the right of the image, and then sky.

Watch, it's not this one. :P
(I added the copyright notice so Otto doesn't bust on me...)

#478118  by Steve F45

interesting to find out that so much was dumped in NJ. Does anyone know where exactly and if it was ever unearthed again? I know there are 2 of the NYP's bald eagles at the entrance to ringwood manor in ringwood,nj.

#478162  by Sir Ray

Steve F45 wrote:interesting to find out that so much was dumped in NJ. Does anyone know where exactly and if it was ever unearthed again? I know there are 2 of the NYP's bald eagles at the entrance to ringwood manor in ringwood,nj.
I think the eagle statues found homes all around the area - I personally saw the one that was at the Cooper Union on Astor Place, and also I saw the one at Hicksville (Long Island) station (with a latin logo stating the 'Urban Eagle has become Suburban', or something like that), and I remember reading of several others - probably a list online somewhere...

Edit: Heh, this guy was tracking down not just the 22 Penn Station eagles, but also some cast iron Grand Central eagles too...
Eagle Hunting
 #478938  by Jeff Gerlach

Photo credit: Edward Hausner / New York Times Pictures

This photo appears on the dust jacket of:
Shaping the City: New York and the Municipal Art Society
by Gregory F. Gilmartin
1995, Clarkson Potter Publishers, New York

By the way, the book has an excellent recounting of early city efforts at railroad freight facility planning, the origins of the Port Authority, the West Side Improvement (High Line), etc.

#479049  by Otto Vondrak

I thought I heard something about a possible archeological dig to unearth some of the Penn Station debris? Maybe I'm getting my rumors mixed up. But anyway, most of this stuff was dumped in the Meadowlands. I'm moving this thread to New Jersey Forum for greater exposure.

-otto-

#479145  by NJTRailfan

Yes all the eagles were saved along with the statue of a man in the photograph that was seated. I believe it was moved to his alma mater. I think all but one of the Night and Day Clocks were saved and like the eagles are in various locations. The lamposts were saved and is now lined outside someones home along a fence.

Whoever decided to build this sorry excuse of crap structure should be dragged out to the street and shot! How dare they destroy a structure like this and repalce it with a useless venue that houses the worst basketball and hockey team in history of the sports and used for fake wrestling and concerts when any other lcoation could've sufficed.

I don't want to hear the excuses because at the end of the day excuses walk!!! This place could've been restored like GCT and made into it's true potential though a restoration. Every week that I go in and out of the city I do cring at the lack of room and the sewer that I'm in.

Sheldon Silver, The thug who is holding up the project and has constantly thumbed his nose at the redevlopment because he is in the pocket of the Dolans and a "die hard" Rangers Fan. I'm shocked that no one has recalled him or has him on corruption charges like that other thug Sharpe James. It's strange that the media and people on this forum went after Pataki and Spitzer when the worst politician of NY is Sheldon Silver.

#479350  by ApproachMedium

what a buncha crap! I just showed the photos to my father as well and we both agree MSG was a waste and the fact that they destoryed such a beautiful structure to put that big ugly thing there. Hes a rangers fan but hockey can be played anywhere, the preservation of our nations railroad history is a little more important. Unfortunatly nothing we can do now to bring it back except destroy MSG and build a new replica of the original NYP!

I too dispise the sewer hole in the ground that is NYP and i hate going there. But today when I was there I was in the 8th ave concourse and I noticed the big photos/drawings of the original stations exterior. I had never seen them before and it was truely a beautiful building.

#479413  by Steve F45

Otto Vondrak wrote:I thought I heard something about a possible archeological dig to unearth some of the Penn Station debris? Maybe I'm getting my rumors mixed up. But anyway, most of this stuff was dumped in the Meadowlands. I'm moving this thread to New Jersey Forum for greater exposure.

-otto-
makes me more interested in the location now. But it also makes you wonder since this was dumped in the meadowlands in the 60's, has anything been built where it was dumped since then?