Railroad Forums 

• Photo identification Bay State

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#657812  by Leo Sullivan

Thought I'd show a couple of puzzlers and see if anyone here could help.
The First is of three Bay State cars of which the open is known to be 1173, a Danvers C.H.
car. The Box car is probably 159 from Webb St. I have an idea where the picture was taken but would like
confirmation (and some evidence)

The second picture, is of Bay State express motor #1 and, the question is where.
The Old Colony Historical Society in Taunton says it is not in Taunton. I know it is
not in Boston so, where.

Leo S
Last edited by Leo Sullivan on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #658764  by jwhite07

Even though the first photo is captioned Marblehead, I think it may actually be the Reading carbarn... if you look at Carlson and Harding's "From Boston to the Berkshires", the photo at the bottom of page 52 shows the same carhouse and large building behind it, and the caption claims Reading.

Second one, can't help ya!
 #658915  by Leo Sullivan

You are absolutely right. i couldn't find the book but, I did find a picture of the barn.
Your explanation also removes the question of why the big semi would be at Marblehead. There were several of them at Reading.
It also indicates that the Box car was # 218, the only one of that
very distinctive class to be stationed in Reading. It also dates the picture to 1909-10 when 1173 also was in Reading.
Thanks for a comprehensive identification of a picture that had stumped many experts.
LS