Railroad Forums 

• Photo ID - Location?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1561989  by nydepot

This is a real photo postcard. No label. I'm thinking LV east side of Cayuga Lake. I thought for a second Niagara Gorge but there are no overhead wires/poles. Not sure if there is double track along the east side of Cayuga. Seems like light rail too.

I had it in my NY folder so I'm going with NY for now.

Any ideas? Thanks.
(52.21 KiB) Downloaded 1345 times
 #1561993  by BR&P

I can't be of any help, but that's an amazing accumulation of ice!
 #1562000  by charlie6017

That definitely looks like some awfully light rail. I'm thinking it could be interurban but not sure where it could be.
 #1562005  by Ken Rice

No tie plates, fairly rough cut ties, and light rail - maybe very old? Doesn’t really strike me as Cayuga lake in appearance (at least not the parts I’ve been to) but if it’s really old the landscape may have been significantly different anyway.
 #1562024  by RailKevin

The tracks might be the temporary construction site type. They remind me of the Rochester subway construction photos showing tracks for steam shovels and gondolas.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the photo could still be the Gorge Route during its construction phase. No power poles/lines would have been put in place until after the excavation was complete.
 #1562034  by BR&P

RailKevin wrote: EDIT: Now that I think about it, the photo could still be the Gorge Route during its construction phase. No power poles/lines would have been put in place until after the excavation was complete.
That does seem worth considering. Does the overall route seem to fit? The right hand bend, and apparently a left hand one farther in the distance?
 #1562038  by nydepot

Are there possibly houses in the back left of the photo along the route? That would negate the gorge, I think.
 #1562091  by RailKevin

The route did have a few station stops with structures. I am looking for construction photos but so far no luck.
 #1562110  by nydepot

I'm thinking it's the gorge. I looked at the postcard under magnification and the white stuff in the back is more fallen ice, not buildings.
 #1562118  by DGC-24711

Not the Niagara River Gorge Route in my opinion, the cliff/hill/raised land in the distance (where the tracks are guessed to swing left and the small white buildings are), is too low of an angle. It just doesn't seem straight-down cliff enough too me.

The water doesn't seem rapid enough either. Looks like a placid shoreline. The photo in the link posted above from the Niagara Falls Canada Library, the rapids are right at the shore.. Image
 #1562170  by nydepot

In the real photo postcard I have, when you look with the magnifying glass, the river has a lot of large chunks of ice in it and I think that that hides the rapids to some degree