Railroad Forums 

• Philly derailment

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1244742  by ReadingAve

Anyone from the Philly area see/hear the news about the derailment on the bridge over the Schuylkill river (and expressway)? I think CSX got sooo lucky in which direction the tanker cars derailed. Had they gone the other way, they'd been in the drink (if not all over the highway below). The pictures posted on line taken from above show a bridge that looks to be in awful condition. And now I see the Philly politicians are up in arms as 6 of the 7 derailed car contained oil, allegedly the same stuff that caused the big fire up in Quebec last summer.

The news also said it was one of several weekly tanker trains that provides crude oil to the refinery in South Philly. I wonder if the derailment will cause the plant to have to go idle for a lack of oil?
 #1244754  by waldwickrailfan

ReadingAve wrote:Anyone from the Philly area see/hear the news about the derailment on the bridge over the Schuylkill river (and expressway)? I think CSX got sooo lucky in which direction the tanker cars derailed. Had they gone the other way, they'd been in the drink (if not all over the highway below). The pictures posted on line taken from above show a bridge that looks to be in awful condition. And now I see the Philly politicians are up in arms as 6 of the 7 derailed car contained oil, allegedly the same stuff that caused the big fire up in Quebec last summer.

The news also said it was one of several weekly tanker trains that provides crude oil to the refinery in South Philly. I wonder if the derailment will cause the plant to have to go idle for a lack of oil?
That refinery gets at least 2 trains a day. There is more than 1 way in, the high line is a "reroute" route because it goes around the refinery onto a storage track. I saw another crude oil train go south the other day, they are not slowing down at all, in fact getting more and more daily
 #1246258  by bluedash2

That's correct. They're increasing the amount of trains for over a month now. And yes the High Line is the former Conrail line and CSX still uses the line they have always had which runs along the Schukyll River parallel to the High Line past CP Locust and directly to the refinery leading me to believe this train was one the refinery wasn't ready for yet which is the only reason it was taking that route.