Railroad Forums 

• Phillipsburg Station

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#151610  by CNJFAN

Just wondering, when NJ Transit discontinued service to Phillipsburg in 1982, was that station stop still a very busy one at that time or did they stop it because hardly anyone rode on it?
If it was still very busy, then why would NJ Transit have discontinued it?

Also, if the trains went there again, would anyone think it would be a very busy station once again?

#151724  by Ken W2KB

Probably not P'burg itself would be very busy. lack of parking, though maybe would get folks from Easton over the free bridge. But a park and ride around Exit 6 where the truck stops are on I-78 would do very well. The track is there.
 #152741  by JimBoylan

CNJFAN wrote:when NJ Transit discontinued service to Phillipsburg in 1982, why would NJ Transit have discontinued it?
I think it was so part of the Jersey Central could be abandonned to avoid building a bridge at the crossing with I-78 near the new Delaware River toll bridge.
 #153726  by njt4172

CNJFAN wrote:Just wondering, when NJ Transit discontinued service to Phillipsburg in 1982, was that station stop still a very busy one at that time or did they stop it because hardly anyone rode on it?
If it was still very busy, then why would NJ Transit have discontinued it?

Also, if the trains went there again, would anyone think it would be a very busy station once again?
Correction, NJT discontinued service to P'burg in January of 1984........

Steve

#153779  by CNJFAN

Thanks for the correction, I confused it with West Trenton which ended in December 1982...

#257390  by vector_one75

Phillipsburg service was a restoration a few years after the Aldene Plan had the CNJ main line discontinued passenger service west of Hampton, but I don't remember exactly which years. Eventually the restored Phillipsburg service was again cut bacl to High Bridge (?).

I did ride the evening commuter run from Newark to Phillipsburg, and stayed on mostly on the open platform observation car (was it the last in the USA?) whose interior was not a lounge but a plain rattan flip-over seat coach, with the rear seat flipped over to look through the rear observation windows. There were no chairs on the platform to sit and relax on the "rear veranda", so I settled for standing on my feet for most of the trip to be able to ride outside on the platform. Most of the passengers in the rear observation coach simply used the rear open platform as one would access the coach from a vestibule, though the flagmman was thorough in insuring that the trapdoor was down to provide a safe floor for me to stand. I am not sure if had I not been in "railfan mode" out on the platform if he would not simply had the trapdors up in motion, since no one else to have been interested in riding a unique "only" travel experience. I guess commuters get jaded after a while, though in my own commuting on the LIRR "Lower Montauk" branch Richmond Hill-Long Island City I never felt jaded, it was always an adventure for me!

All the other coaches, about 5-6 pretty much of a "full house" out of Newark, were 2nd -hand smooth side streamlined cars with reclining seats which I never found out the pedegrees for, but I am probably wrong, but for whatever reason I always in my mind referred to the "KCS cars" for that trip, similar to some that LIRR had at the time as well. I thinkl KCS sold their newest (1964 brand new streamliners, yet!) to the LIRR, and I recall these cars had tinted windows rather than shades which the earlier vintage KCS streamlined coaches did not have the tints but had the shades. Ine item about these streamlined cars which to me was an aesthetic disappointment, was the flooring, that tivy kind of ceramic floor tiles that were often used for public toilet floors. I can appreciate the beating the train car flors got from the shoes and boots in winter snowtime commuter service, but I still pined for the carpeted floors that streamlined long-distance cars tended to have. I don't know, maybe they were KCS originals in the 1960's eras of "practicality", like the tinted shadeless windows, or maybe they were CNJ's modifications. And maybe they weren't at all KCS's, since I only walked through a few at Phillipsburg, being mostly in the Obs car. After all I knew of the LIRR ex-KCS cars, the ones on the CNJ were my "assumed "KCS" cars! I'm sure there are those who could enlighten which streamlined coaches had come from.

As I passed throiugh the coaches from obs car to the front to check things out, it appeared to me that by Phillpsburg only a handful of passengers were left, but not having gone through the train over its run, in order to watch the unique view from the oen end platform, there was no way of determining for me how far west the passenger loads were. This was the main "after business" commmuter train to Phillipsburg, so I doubt if any much heavier passenger loads could have been expected on the other few trips to Phillipsburg during ther day. It was dark by then, and I could not identify any "station" as such, I might have missed it, but it might no longer have existed by then, and maybe was just a yard with asphalt plarform, like the LIRR Long Island City terminal was when I was commuting in New York.

Sincerely,

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
Perth, Western Australia

#257627  by JimBoylan

I rode the mid-day R.D.C. round trip from Newark to P'burg, and it was like East 33rd St. in Bayonne at the turn around point of the trip: Nothing there at the terminal.
There were 2 trips inbound in the morning and outbound in the evening. The mid-day "reverse commuter" trip was to swap crews. Instead of paying one set of crews to run the rush hour trips and lay over on overtime during the day, the extra trip was run to get fresh crews and try to keep them all on regular time. It also hauled a lot of dead heads to and from Raritan. As another economy move, one of the Reading's R.D.C. trains ("Wall Street" or "Crusader") would be stored in Phillipsburg instead of Harrison, and this trip would get it to and from the storage track on the main line out there. Somehow, the Reading didn't think it was an economy move for the Reading!