Railroad Forums 

• Philadelphia, Germantown, and Norristown Railroad

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#265932  by PARailWiz

While digging through my great-grandparents' old things last night, I discovered a letter from the PG&N dated in late 1971 basically saying that dividends were suspended until further notice pending the outcome of the Reading filing for bankrupcy (they owned stock in the PG&N). Apparently the PG&N had leased the line to the Reading for them to operate for 999 years and still existed mainly to collect the lease payments from the Reading.

I had always assumed the Reading bought out the PG&N but I guess not. My question is, what happened to the PG&N after the date of that letter and through the Conrail years? I couldn't find any more information in my grandparents' records.

#266268  by JimBoylan

Please write to the address on the letter and ask, then post the reply. There must have been some settlement, since PG&N didn't seem to be bankrupt, and ConRail and then S.E.P.T.A. got the properties. What is the symbol for the stock?
I remember about 1977, a few dissident stockholders of the NorthEast Pennsylvania RR wanted to get the management to break the lease with the Reading Company that ConRail and S.E.P.T.A. were using, take back their property, and make their own deal with S.E.P.T.A. to run the commuter trains on the Doylestown branch! Nothing ever happened. They were only following the successful example of the Providence & Worcester stockholders. About the same time, Norwich & Worcester stockholders tried to become independent of the P&W, but that didn't happen, either.