Railroad Forums 

• Phelps, NY Water Tank

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1353218  by Suihanki

I am attempting to find photos of any water tank/tower used by the New York Central in Phelps, NY. I have a 28 Sept 1941 Rochester Division time table that shows the town listed as a water station. However, I can find no evidence of a tower in any of the aerial photos I have of the town. There is a Sanborn map from the 1900's that shows a brick structure next to the station on the west side, but the only photo I have of the station is faced west with the station obstructing the view. Right now my hunch is that the brick structure housed a small water tank and that the locomotives used water spouts located somewhere near the station, but until I find a photo that is just a guess.
 #1353504  by BobLI

Is it possible that they had track pans installed at that location to scoop water and not use water plugs?
 #1353534  by BR&P

BobLI wrote:Is it possible that they had track pans installed at that location to scoop water and not use water plugs?
No, Phelps is on the Old Road and did not have track pans.

I've been by there countless times and recall no traces of a tank, but was not looking for any. West of the depot would have been a good location.