Railroad Forums 

• Pet peeve - Same thread in multiple forums

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#251578  by RailBus63

There's been a number of examples of the same thread being posted in multiple forums recently. For example, there are at least three threads going about the CSX derailment near Fonda, and there was the same New Haven RR thread put in four different places. This results in replies and comments being spread out and time wasted surfing through multiple threads.

My suggestion:

- When in doubt, put Amtrak-related discussion in the 'Amtrak' thread
- Derailment discussion should go in the host railroad's thread
- General 'I'll be visiting Anytown USA - where can I see trains?' railfan inquiries should go in the appropriate region-specific thread.

Jim D.

#251581  by charlie6017

I agree-however, I am not sure whether I should close the thread on the CSX forum, referring it the the NY State forum, or if we should go vice-versa?

#251593  by RailBus63

I'm not sure if the mods have the ability to merge threads on this board, but if so, the other Fonda derailments threads should be merged into the one on the CSX board.

#251866  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm not so sure I would consider time surfing here, as "wasted". Contact the moderator, on a specific thread, about moving/combining a topic you think needs to be consolidated. They have the discretion to make those moves. Regards :wink:

#256356  by benltrain

The one time I did this, when I did not know it warranted a warning, it was a topic called "Rate the Lines" which seemed a good idea for multiple forums, and generated a lot of great discussion on multiple forums.

#256589  by Otto Vondrak

Yeah benltrain, I loved it when you spammed the forums with the same meaningless question over and over. Next I am expecting "what's your favorite color engine." Great discussion indeed. It's called cross-posting and we discourage it.

-otto-

#256592  by benltrain

Otto Vondrak wrote:Yeah benltrain, I loved it when you spammed the forums with the same meaningless question over and over. Next I am expecting "what's your favorite color engine." Great discussion indeed. It's called cross-posting and we discourage it.

-otto-
Well, Otto, if I am not mistaken, is this in the rules? If, so, my mistake. If not, please add this to the rules, so people will not make the same mistake again, and be warned.

#256595  by Otto Vondrak

Okay...

RAILROAD.NET RULE #292: Stop.

RAILROAD.NET RULE #292a.: User benltrain is not allowed to cross-post the same question to multiple forums.

It may not be a written rule, it's common discussion forum ettiquette. That's why you were WARNED so you wouldn't do it again. That's what warnings are for, and you have not been warned since, so everything is fine.

-otto-

#256601  by benltrain

Otto Vondrak wrote:Okay...

RAILROAD.NET RULE #292: Stop.

RAILROAD.NET RULE #292a.: User benltrain is not allowed to cross-post the same question to multiple forums.

It may not be a written rule, it's common discussion forum ettiquette. That's why you were WARNED so you wouldn't do it again. That's what warnings are for, and you have not been warned since, so everything is fine.

-otto-
Haha. All I am saying is that as I have seen, this is a very popular forum, and newer users sometimes do not know forum ettiquite.

Thanks,
Benltrain

#256639  by GOLDEN-ARM

I noticed that those are all "absolute stops", no stop and proceeds are seen there................... :P
(for the record, Cornell Red, my favorite color engine.....) :-D

#256644  by benltrain

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I noticed that those are all "absolute stops", no stop and proceeds are seen there................... :P
(for the record, Cornell Red, my favorite color engine.....) :-D
I think that's from Lucius Kwok's site, is it not?

#256646  by ANDY117

Because Otto doesn't want the cross-posting to proceed, that's why! It must stop, and be terminated by Otto and his hulk-ness (which thread was that from? I'm sure it's around here somewhere)

#256648  by GOLDEN-ARM

Not sure I am following you, Benltrain..... What portion of "absolute Stop" are you not understanding.................. :P That was not a "permissive" signal, given by the RR.Net Chief DS. :-D