Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #422829  by David Hutchinson

There used to be a small yard at Fayette and State Streets in Perth Amboy. It was a five or more track yard, stub ended, that came off the CNJ. This, I am told, was a PRR yard and not a New York & Long Branch facility. I was also told that there was a passenger station there. I cannot find anything in my 1944 Official Guide. Can anyone out there help?

#423452  by umtrr-author

I was curious about this so I looked at Google Earth, which seems to have the merest suggestion of a former track curving away from the Lehigh Valley's Perth Amboy Branch at Washington Street, sort of headed for the intersection of Fayette and State.

There are newer structures in the area bounded by Fayette, State, Division and Broad Streets (with Barracks bisecting this somewhat) which looks like there would have been enough space for a yard.

But I'm sorry I can't be of any more help.

#427410  by choess

The 1905 topo map shows a PRR branch crossing over the NY&LB at their junction and running parallel and just west of State St. (the roadbed is still visible in aerial photographs today), crossing the LV, and ending at Fayette and State. Recheck the 1945 CT 1000, p. 22, New York Division: it's labeled "Line to Perth Amboy", and the relevant part is from 24.4 mi. from Jersey City (Woodbridge Jct.) to the Perth Amboy station at 25.4 mi.

#427627  by umtrr-author

I know that line, at least some of it is a walking path at this point. I recall trackage being there in the 1970's and probably the 1980's but I can't say I ever saw anything running on it.

But I never knew that it was PRR; I had always thought it was either the CNJ or the LV in order for them to reach each other in Perth Amboy.

Interesting... thanks for sharing.

#453076  by stationarchives

I grew up in Perth Amboy (born 1935) and remember the PRR yard and freight station that was along Division St near the Grammar School. In the early 1900's there was a PRR passenger station here along with a small enginehouse and turntable. All this shows up in Sanborn fire insurance maps of the era.

There have been errors in identifying this line; the Steam Powered Video atlas calls it a CNJ line, but it was definitely a PRR one. The usual power here was a massive C1 0-8-0.
 #453078  by stationarchives

There has often been confusion regarding the line between Woodbridge Junction, where the PRR had its connection with the CNJ. Many, including some CNJ timetables, identify it as NY&LB. However, milepost 0 of the NY&LB was at the north end of the Raritan River bridge.

I personally knew many of the station agents, towermen, track workers and local switching crews of CNJ, LV and PRR, and they all referred to this piece of track as CNJ. It was certainly unusual in being electrified and in accomodating PRR trains, but "legally" it was CNJ.