Railroad Forums 

• Perth Amboy Jct

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#115230  by G Quester

According to my calculations, I saw an old a map showing that there used to be a train station right here at Perth Amboy Jct. Is that true? I used tolive very close to this place, but I moved around three years ago. I lived in Avenel NJ, where the Woodbridge line branched close to where I live. It crossed Leesville Ave in an overpass. I know that this line had several grade crossing eliminations, like around Woodbridge train station, but i've always wondered if the Leesville Ave overpass was once a grade crossing.
While the present Northeast corridor passes St Georges Ave as an overpass,I also wonder if it used to be a grade crossing. I'm writing this to you since you had information about this article. If you have furthermoreinformation regarding my inquiry, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

#115471  by nick11a

Yes, IIRC, there were actually THREE stations in the Perth Amboy area. Hard to believe huh? And the other two were north of the current Perth Amboy Station. So, I believe you are correct in that.

And I doubt that the overpass over St. Georges Ave was ever a grade crossing. I believe the NEC was originally designed to be mostly non-grade IIRC.

#115514  by Jtgshu

The NEC was originally built at grade, and Im sure there was a grade xing at St. George Ave at one time or another.

The CNJ xing in Elizabeth used to be an at grade diamond!!!

I STRONGLY recommend finding a copy of Triumph V, it has a terrific history of the NEC as we know it, adn don't know it, from NY to Philly

#115535  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:The NEC was originally built at grade, and Im sure there was a grade xing at St. George Ave at one time or another.

The CNJ xing in Elizabeth used to be an at grade diamond!!!

I STRONGLY recommend finding a copy of Triumph V, it has a terrific history of the NEC as we know it, adn don't know it, from NY to Philly
OK, cool didn't know that. I'll try to get that book sometime in the future. I've heard great things about it.

#115559  by TAMR213

Yea, most of the NEC was at grade at one time or another. Infact, when they built the current bridge over the Raritan in 1902, that is the same time when the NEC was grade seperated through New Brunswick and a new station was built. Also, most people belive "County" interlocking was named so because NB is the county seat, but rather, County was I belive the PRRs VP secretary or something, and was the guy who pushed for the NEC to be elivated.

#115560  by sullivan1985

Thats what I love about the DL&W, they thought ahead. There are almost no grade crossing on their system at all! The only one I know of for a fact is at the end of Valley Brook Ave in Lyndhurst, and that was not there when the DL&W came though, so it doesn't count. You should see Station Square in Rutherford when a train is in. The roads become a parking lot.
 #115768  by G Quester

According to my calculations, I saw an old a map showing that there used to be a train station right here at Perth Amboy Jct. This is where the North Jersey Coast line joins up with the Northeast Corridor at Rahway NJ. Is that true? I used to live very close to this place, but I moved around three years ago. I lived in Avenel NJ, where the Woodbridge line branched close to where I live. It crossed Leesville Ave in an overpass. I know that this line had several grade crossing eliminations, like around Woodbridge train station, but i've always wondered if the Leesville Ave overpass was once a grade crossing.
While the present Northeast corridor passes St Georges Ave as an overpass, also wonder if it used to be a grade crossing. Most important I would like to see very old pictures (1895-1935) of Leesville Ave crossing in Avenel, NJ if any of you has it.
 #115894  by TAMR213

G Quester wrote:According to my calculations, I saw an old a map showing that there used to be a train station right here at Perth Amboy Jct. This is where the North Jersey Coast line joins up with the Northeast Corridor at Rahway NJ. Is that true? I used to live very close to this place, but I moved around three years ago. I lived in Avenel NJ, where the Woodbridge line branched close to where I live. It crossed Leesville Ave in an overpass. I know that this line had several grade crossing eliminations, like around Woodbridge train station, but i've always wondered if the Leesville Ave overpass was once a grade crossing.
While the present Northeast corridor passes St Georges Ave as an overpass, also wonder if it used to be a grade crossing. Most important I would like to see very old pictures (1895-1935) of Leesville Ave crossing in Avenel, NJ if any of you has it.
What your thinking of is Union interlocking. That is also the place of the Rahway station. Pearth Amboy Jct. is in Perth Amboy (makes sense).
 #115899  by G Quester

Yes it's Union Interlocking.

#115909  by Lackawanna484

The period 1890-1915 saw a huge amount of railroad infrastructure building in NJ.

The Pennsy was electrified from Manhattan Transfer to the new station in NY. Many grade crossings were removed, and the freight bypass (around Trenton to Colonia) was begun.

The DL&W launched its huge Morristown Line grade separations, and four tracked the Boonton Line in places. Five tracked it at Delawanna. Prior to the grade separation, places like Madison looked like Millington.

CNJ, Reading, NY Central had their won projects, too