Railroad Forums 

• People in MSTS?

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#148869  by ANDY117

i was doing the Mixed freight to Whitefish activity, and saw hikers alongside the tracks in places. I thought MSTS didn't have people.

#148966  by pgengler

It's something that can be added to a route as a static object. With a clever hack, you can even make people move (basically, make a 3D object of a person, tell the sim it's a car, and use a carspawner object to animate them over a "road" textured to look like a path or something), but for the most part, it's just a simple model stuck in there (like a station).
I know the Activity Editor includes a slider for "persons" as a hazard, but unlike the "animals" slider which adds deer along the tracks, the "persons" one doesn't visually do anything (and it's unclear if it does anything at all).

#149429  by li7039

what happens when you hit a deer

does your train derail

#149432  by AEM7AC920

li7039 wrote:what happens when you hit a deer

does your train derail

Nothing happens, I don't think that would be realistic if a deer derailed your train...

#149474  by pgengler

li7039 wrote:what happens when you hit a deer

does your train derail
No, no derailments from hitting a deer. Usually the sim moves the deer off the track by the time your train gets there, anyway.

As for what that "people" slider does, I came across a theory that, if it's set high and you fly through grade crossings with no warning too often, your run will end as though you had derailed or run a red.