Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#124171  by Otto Vondrak

Can someone describe the Penn Central trucking fleet? I've seen Penn Central trailers... but were there matching tractors to pull them? Did PC has it's own trucking subsidiary?

-otto-

#124179  by LCJ

I believe it was PTL (Pennsylvania Truck Lines) a subsidiary of PC that lasted well into Conrail days. PTL operated the intermodal ramps across the system until a strike by PTL employees caused serious problems for Conrail in the early '90s. PTL lost much of the business to other contracting companies at that time.

Here's a fake link: Fake PTL Site

While this is not a real corporate site, it was a real company owned by Pennsylvania Company, I believe.

#125234  by LCJ

New Penn Trucking is a less-than-truckload carrier that is part of the Roadway Group of Yellow Roadway Corporation.
New Penn
I've been searching for the remnents of PTL Intermodal Services, the company that operated Harrisburg, PA, Baltimore, MD. So. Kearny, NJ, and Morrisville, PA intermodal ramps for Conrail up at least to the split. I've found no indication that they are doing so today, but I could be wrong.

#125534  by SRS125

If any of you guys are looking for Penn Central and Pennsylvaina Railroad trailers there is one of each siting in the town of Sempronius in Cayuga County being used as storage units by New Hope Mills.

#125546  by Matt Langworthy

SRS125 wrote:If any of you guys are looking for Penn Central and Pennsylvaina Railroad trailers there is one of each siting in the town of Sempronius in Cayuga County being used as storage units by New Hope Mills.
How'd they wind up there? Isn't that on an xx-LV line?

#125765  by SRS125

don't know for sure why the trailers are there most likley were baught by New Hope Mills as they are side by side just off the road along with a couple of outher unmarked trailers of 1950's ventage.

I almost forgot to add that there is a Penn Central trailer by the White Round House in Utica, NY across from the NYS&W Shops. The trailer is in the woods only about 5 feet of it are visable there is a Yellow NY Licence plate with blue letters and numbers still on it trailer was last inspected in the 1960's or early 70's.

#126053  by LCJ

Actually, this thread is about the trucking subsidiary of PC and not the location of PC trailers. Here's a thread where trailer sightings are appropriate: Here

Does anyone know if a derivative of PTL still operates intermodal terminals for NS or CSX?

#126310  by 262

If you go to any go to any library with a good refrence collection,ask to see the Thomas Regester.It is a listing of U.S. businesses.Listed in alaphbetical,or product and service catagorys.It does list companys that are out of business,or changed names due to merger.

ETL

#126446  by H.F.Malone

Wasn't "Excelsior Truck Leasing" one of the PC's (PRR's??) subsidaries? I think they owned all the MOW trucks. Should have taken some photos of that stuff, too, but back then, who thought of that?

#126473  by LCJ

Yes -- Excelsior was the lessor of pretty much all of PC's vehicles, and was a subsidiary of Penn Central Co.

#220809  by the missing link

theres a p-c trailer in fallsburg ny,on the sideroad along 17,just up on the right from the long maine central caboose in front of the junkyard

#227780  by Dieter

Don't forget that a lot of the PC truck trailers were Flexi-Vans from The Central.

I have seen the tractor model available with the green and white cab. Otto, I can assure you that at that time, those were few and far between to be seen.

Dieter/

#334342  by DELETED

DELETED