Railroad Forums 

• Peach traffic on the Pittstown Branch

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#633864  by Londoner

I have read that a disease in the early 1900's severely affected the peach traffic on the Pittstown Branch. Does anyone know anything about how this traffic was handled.

Did the Lehigh Valley have special sheds?

Thanks

Ken
 #636444  by pierrerabbit

I haven't been able to find much info online about Pittstown station. I shot a few pics last year, not much left of the station. They let it go, maybe beyond restoration.

Your best bet is probably the Hunterdon County Library for more info.
 #636743  by CAR_FLOATER

According to various archival photos, the entire area surrounding the Pittstown station area was filled with boxcars and early reefers to capacity be hauled via a "fruit extra" to the city.

CF
 #661858  by SledDawg

Ah, it's good to see that Franklin Township website up again! It was offline for a while and those amazing old photos were inaccessible. I have been trying to research the Pittstown/Clinton Branch for years, and there's very little information. See my post begging for anything and help if you can!
 #685704  by trainwayne1

SledDawg wrote:Ah, it's good to see that Franklin Township website up again! It was offline for a while and those amazing old photos were inaccessible. I have been trying to research the Pittstown/Clinton Branch for years, and there's very little information. See my post begging for anything and help if you can!
Here's a few pictures of the Pittstown branch from the Anthracite Railroads Yahoo group.

Contact the photographer for more info.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthracit ... 2/pic/list