Railroad Forums 

• Peabody - Eastman Gelatine

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1000601  by Jedijk88

do they still get rail direct? I know within the last couple years they were looking into transload options.
 #1000611  by jaymac

The change to edibles may be good news, especially if there is a production increase that would make outbound rail a possibility. The effects of digital photography were covered in the story, but those already have been pretty well taken into account. The real decline in film demand more lately has been from the shift to digital radiography -- great for patients, great for doctors and dentists, but bad for film companies.
 #1000678  by MEC407

A lot of major Hollywood movies are still shot and printed on film, and this has been a big business for Kodak even as still (non-movie) photography has switched almost entirely to digital... but as more and more movie theaters upgrade to digital projection, the demand for motion picture film continues to shrink.
 #1000795  by Badandy

MEC407 wrote:A lot of major Hollywood movies are still shot and printed on film, and this has been a big business for Kodak even as still (non-movie) photography has switched almost entirely to digital... but as more and more movie theaters upgrade to digital projection, the demand for motion picture film continues to shrink.
With that being said, with the demand of movie film dwindling, the remaining gelatine operation will be moved to Kodak in New York state.
Got this info from a purchasing agent at Eastman Gel who GOT LAID OFF! Andy
 #1000842  by MEC407

It's sad. Much like diesel locomotives, motion picture film is one of the few things still Made in America and sold around the world. Not for much longer, I guess.
 #1003613  by TJ209

Abandonment? The MBTA seems to have other plans...

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Docum ... 1x17_1.pdf

I'd rather see passenger trains than no trains at all, plus, they claim they want to "maintain existing freight service." I just hope that, with Eastman gone, Pan Am is still willing to serve the lone Univar USA for a while.
 #1003649  by arcadia terminal

The statement that the Gelatine operation will be moved to NY may be taken out of context as a closing of the plant.

In the current operation the "film" grade Gelatine was a small portion of the production at that plant. Kodak's Rochester plant had a very large prorotype lab that could generate the dwindling need for "film" grade gelatine, and this may be where the "film" grade gelatine operation is going to be moved to. The film grade is a higher quality gelatine as it has to have optical properties.

This new company which makes "food" grade gelatine may be glad the "film" grade operation is going away and that they can utilize the addtional equiptment for "food" grade product. If this is the case I don't see the rail traffic going away it may increase.

There is a special on the I think on the National Geographic channel on "Acid" and it has a great segment on the processing of bone at the Eastman Gelatine plant.

Peter
 #1003720  by F-line to Dudley via Park

This sounds like it could be good news long-term for the plant. It sheds one of the declining markets, but refocuses them on the steady and growth markets. Pharmaceutical gelatin most definitely is a strategic growth market that fits the local economy well. Things are always jittery when there's a sale, but the new buyers sound pretty bullish on that operation if the initial sentiments are to be believed.

As for PAR, they still haven't abandoned the OOS part of the South Reading Line because the town hasn't given up on trying to lure a new rail customer to the industrial park. PAR would've certainly scuttled the unused portion by now if they forecast any long-term reductions in the amount of business their lone customer on the branch was bringing in. They obviously see the plant as a secure enough anchor to hedge on the very slight chance that Peabody can produce a new customer for them.
 #1003834  by newpylong

TJ209 wrote:Abandonment? The MBTA seems to have other plans...

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Docum ... 1x17_1.pdf

I'd rather see passenger trains than no trains at all, plus, they claim they want to "maintain existing freight service." I just hope that, with Eastman gone, Pan Am is still willing to serve the lone Univar USA for a while.

Just 1 of a 100 projects proposed.

Agreed. I see a possible increase in carloads as a result of this...
 #1004242  by toolmaker

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... TQ20120104

Sold just in the nick of time it seems. Kodak's about to go Chapter 11.
Kodak yes, but they seperated Eastman Chemical out. Eastman is doing well it was recently reported in the news.
 #1018049  by MBTA13

Now Eastman is getting switched more than it used to. Its up to 2 times a week now. The product being put out by the company is used in pharmaceuticals which has a higher demand than film.