Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#499474  by sixroute

My aunt who commuted daily on the Paoli Local told me that in the first days of the merger, a lead car on that train was painted in jade green. That inapropriate choice was scoffed at by the public and the olive drab was quickly substituted. I think the first PC painted car was 451. It was the only one to have "Penn Central" on the letterboard and a set of worms next to each door. later repaints deleted the letterboard and the final PC '54s had a single reflective white stripe just under the window line and larger worms below it at each end. SIlverliners were another story. Anything went with them. Some had white worms on a black background, others had black stenciled worms right on the stainless steel. I think that is when the Pennslyvania letterboard on the Budd SIIs began to be covered up. SIIIs had the PRR logo next to the doors. Can't remember if many of them were covered with white on black worms. When the SIVs began to aririve, ethey had black PC worms by each dooe and worms and Septa meatball on the front.
I would love to see a color photo of the jade MP54!

#499829  by JimBoylan

Newspaper accounts of the 1st day of the merger mentioned that Princeton University students used tape and paper on a car of the Princeton Jct. & Back MP-54 equipped "Dinkey" to change "SYLVANIA" to "-CENTRAL". That would have been the 1st revenue passenger car to be renamed. I don't know if a business car was done earlier that morning.

#504131  by Noel Weaver

JimBoylan wrote:Newspaper accounts of the 1st day of the merger mentioned that Princeton University students used tape and paper on a car of the Princeton Jct. & Back MP-54 equipped "Dinkey" to change "SYLVANIA" to "-CENTRAL". That would have been the 1st revenue passenger car to be renamed. I don't know if a business car was done earlier that morning.
Actually on the New York Central side a number of repainted passenger
cars that had just come out of the paint shop had just the word "Central"
on them and Penn was painted in and then covered with tape. Of course,
we on the New Haven Railroad were simply bystanders at this time, we
got included at the very start of 1969.
Noel Weaver