Railroad Forums 

• PC Richards and DiCarlo

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #968006  by tahawus84

Is dicarlo still receiving cars?

I remember a few years back someone said the switch for the old pc richards spur was being reinstalled for a new customer. Did anyone ever move in there or was the switched pulled out?
 #968091  by Shavano

DiCarlo commonly gets excess height refers on a somewhat regular basis, and the Eldee switch (PC Richards) was put back in a few years ago for Astro Ready who actively receives cars.
 #968305  by Sir Ray

Shavano wrote:DiCarlo commonly gets excess height refers on a somewhat regular basis, and the Eldee switch (PC Richards) was put back in a few years ago for Astro Ready who actively receives cars.
Bing hasn't been updated it seems, but looking at Google Maps it looks like Astro-Ready is very busy, a lot of hoppers back there in a surprisingly small area.
 #968317  by tahawus84

I thought the pc richards siding was the one by rt 110 that is by price parkway? Also I thought those cars were for salesmaster but I guess you might be right they are for astro as salesmaster sells flooring materials not gravel
 #968357  by Sir Ray

tahawus84 wrote:I thought the pc richards siding was the one by rt 110 that is by price parkway? Also I thought those cars were for salesmaster but I guess you might be right they are for astro as salesmaster sells flooring materials not gravel
Well, there's several PC Richards warehouses I guess - the one in Farmingdale which I think was the old White Rose center, and this one in Deer Park on Commack Road - both could have been rail-served, and if this was the 1960s they would have been, with 60ft Hi-Cubes Boxcars of appliances.
Google Maps claims SalesMaster is the last building on the North Side of Marcus Blvd right before Marcus sharply turns South - in the G-Map link I posted, this would be where the last (Western-most) hopper car is. The logistics of Astro-Ready have to be rather funky - I guess they use trucks to take the material from the storage yard on the South side of the LIRR Main, up around to their main processing plant on Long Island Avenue (North side of LIRR Main) - I can't make out any sort of conveyor above or under the Main, although it may be hard to tell with Google Maps.
There was a thread awhile back about problems with Salesmaster deliveries - well, with so many hoppers coming in now, you'd figure they could tack on a bulkhead flat/boxcar or two of building materials for Salesmaster too.
 #968621  by freightguy

Eldee siding got's it's name from tha PC Richard's building. I guess that was a 60's version of Costco. There was a few other industries behind them. I can remember flour cars atleast until the early 90's for the Pasta guy west of PC Richards. Whiterose in Price Industrial had a 20 car capacity within the buiding probably the largest on the island. Mostly siphoned off by trucks by the early 1980's.

In modern times Eldee siding is a weird place for the stone transload. Years back NYAR paid LIRR to reinstall the switch frog when they straight railed it. It is ashame LIRR shrugs off the freight. They do receive handsome fees to maintain all the mainline switches. Like Sysco Foods wanting a switch in CI and the LIRR balking at that. Does anyone know if construction has begun on that building....
 #968719  by Sir Ray

freightguy wrote:Eldee siding got's it's name from tha PC Richard's building. I guess that was a 60's version of Costco.
They were an local appliance store, much like PC Richards, and lasted at least into the 1980s - their commercials are findable on-line at retro sites. And, they apparently have a Facebook page, with nothing posted on it (I guess somebody had some free time). Can't really trace if they were taken over by The Wiz, or merged into PC Richards, or what.
Eldee siding is a weird place for the stone transload
I agree, as I mentioned in my previous post. However, if they could get a conveyor over the LIRR main, then it would seem to make more sense.