Railroad Forums 

• Pay scale

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#18856  by MegaDave

I keep hearing everyone say that the pay is great, but how great is it?

I applied at UP and I was very cuious...

How much an hour? Or a day? Do you always work 12 hour days and
if so is that 4 hours of overtime every day?

I have a question about long runs...I read that after 12 hours the train must stop due to dot regs. what if your in the middle of bfe, what do you do? do you go find a motel or do you sleep on the train?

What size lunch do you bring if your going to be gone for a long time?

What other stuff do you bring with you?

How many days do you usally stay out at a time?

Sorry about the questions, but if I'm going to try this I need to know what I'm getting in to...Thank you

#18862  by SteelWheels21

I just interviewed at BNSF and have some applications at UP coming up, so I'll tell you what I know and leave the rest to others:

Im assuming you applied for trainservice. According to our orientation, the pay is figured differently than any other job, based on numerous factors. We were told to expect to make an absolute minimum of 40K our first year as conductors, with a system average of 67K a year. You can confirm this figure on the BNSF website in the job listings - conductor trainee link. If you make it to Engineer, you're looking at 75 to 100K/yr.

As far as the 12 hour rule, you are supposed to let your dispatcher know 2-3 hours before you "outlaw" and they send transportation to pick you up. Not sure what happens if you are out in the middle of nowhere.

Good Luck!

Pay

#18866  by slchub

Well, your pay is a complicated issue. Were you hired before 1985? After. Pre-Merger? Lots of factors. But since we know that none of these apply, with the UP, you will draw minimum wage for the first three weeks of training. Don't know why. I guess UP does not want to pay you any more than they have to in case you dont make it through all of your final exams....7 of them at 85% or better. Once you get out of class, you'll make your Conductor runs with a Conductor...at about $133 each way depending on location. Some area have a higher pay scale than others based upon what the agreement is with the UTU...Trainmen union. No overtime for yet, unless your hours exceed 48 in one week..SUN-SAT. After a couple of weeks on the road you'll either attend Conductor class for two weeks or RCO class. Again, based upon location, basic days pay for class. Their are some instances where you will receive overtime, but again it depends upon the union agreement and area you are working in. The first year of work you can count on getting between 32-40K. After that, too many factors to count. Road vs. Yard. Borrowing out to another disctrict...etc.

As far eating on the road goes, I have seen guys bring a large cooler along with thier grip, and a make a smorgasbord out it. Most of us bring a couple cans of coke, a few snacks, and a sandwhich or two. If you are lucky, you can grab a bite somewhere along the way if you know your going to be holed up in a siding somewhere waiting for another train, and thier happens to be a great place to eat just across the way.

12 hour rules. Your dead at 12. Hopefully you have not "died" in BFE, where the Armadillo or carry-all cannot get to you because of a snow drift or otherwise. Most of the time, the Dispatcher will get you to a "convienient" place for a van to come and get you before you die. But it does happen. And you have a nice little bumpy ride along the right-of-way for a couple of miles until you hit pavement. It is a great idea to remind the Dispatcher that you are about to die in a couple of hours,and the gentle reminder every half-hour or so. I've only heard of one crew in the Salt Lake area who actually had to sleep on the motor. Between Ogden and Green River during a snow storm. They were in BFE. No trains moving because of the storm. The carry all could not get to the train because of the snow. They were on the motor for over 24 hours before they jumped on a passing train.

Always pack a little something for those times where you don't know when you are going to move again. It's worth it. Usually you are out on the road for a day or so. You stay at your away from home terminal usually no longer than 9-12 hours...hopefully....if not, then you get held-away pay after 16 hours in the hotel. Some guys bring a damn grip (grip is your bag or suitcase) on wheels and a backpack. They bring everything with them including the kitchen sink. I bring a small backpack with a change of underwear, shirt and socks depending upon the weather. I wear my overalls to the restraunt or store when I get there. I'm not trying to impress anyone, so I don't bring alot of crap. You bring all of your rules and regs and safety info as well as required by the FRA and UP. I also bring a book just in case. Most of the hotels are okay. Some have HBO, others don't.

#19674  by Engineer Spike

You wanted to know about pay scales. You have heard about the training wage. After you get quallified there are many factors. The run mileage is part of the equasion, as is car count (weight on drivers for engineers), and also class of service, yard, local, road freight, or passenger.
If your mileage oges over a basic day, you have to work longer to get overtime, but you get paid at a higher rate.

As for hotels, some are better than others.

For lunch, I often bring something to heat on the cab heater, or on the diesel engine. I work for a Canadian railroad and we have hot plates on the engines. There is one conductor that I work with that is Italian. He puts the spaghetti right on the burner. On one trip to Montreal, I ate a better meal than in some resturaunts. The only thing missing was the vino. Ofthn my wife makes me something to warm up. last summer I cooked corn on the cob on top of the diesel engine.

#19793  by trainfreak

Would most of the engineers or conducters here say that going with the railroad was definatley the right job choice for them? Being 16 i think that i need to start thinking about what im going to do and ive been intersted in working for the railroad for many years.

ps. Did the corn on the cob taste good?

#19996  by CRail

Im with Jeff! Also 16, I,ve wanted to be an engineer since I was 2. Any info on the job.