Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1010034  by JCGUY

I was in the area of the harrison yard today and it seemed that there were very few PATH cars stored there, relative to the usual amount. Is it possible that the PA moves the cars somewhere else when there's a snowstorm? If so, where?
 #1011402  by OportRailfan

They also just built 4 more yard tracks that comprise the west yard. There were also plans to add an addition 4 yard tracks within the loop track at the HCMF.
 #1012973  by Amtrak7

Storage space west of NWK? I thought that was for turning only.
 #1013021  by OportRailfan

Amtrak7 wrote:Storage space west of NWK? I thought that was for turning only.
You're probably thinking of the tail track in between Amtrak's 1 and 2 main tracks.

There are 2 storage tracks with X's that run from the flyover that starts in Dock West down to South St./Cliff interlocking.
 #1017274  by 25Hz

They also store a train on track 5 at wtc, and the stretch between journal square and near the portal is also used for storage, i believe that section has 3 tracks intended for both work & shop movements/storage as well as this operational pattern of storage. There is also layovers overnight & weekends etc at hoboken and 33rd street. During the day, especially peak hours, very frequently only shopped cars will be seen or trains with a problem that were taken out mid cycle. Take a train from newark to hoboken via jsq overnight and you will see a lot more trains/cars parked in those yard areas and in the stations. In fact frequently they will park a train upstairs at newark during "off hours" and only use the lower track.