Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#195055  by Idiot Railfan

Does PATH have an contingency plans in the even of a NYC Subway strike?

In 1980, service was altered. IIRC, during the morning rush hours, passengers were not permitted to board at Christopher and 9th Streets after the first day because waaaaay too many people tried to get on at those stations to go uptown, resulting in very dangerous crowding on the platforms.

I believe PATH also ran some trains from WTC to 33rd street, skipping stops in New Jersey.

#195087  by arrow

I just read that PATH will have service from WTC to 33 St but will make the stops in NJ. Other than that, I don't think they have anything else.

#195621  by Idiot Railfan

arrow wrote:I just read that PATH will have service from WTC to 33 St but will make the stops in NJ. Other than that, I don't think they have anything else.
How does the union feel about that? Seems to me that this extra service is in conflict with the strike.

#195629  by Allan

Idiot Railfan wrote:
arrow wrote:I just read that PATH will have service from WTC to 33 St but will make the stops in NJ. Other than that, I don't think they have anything else.
How does the union feel about that? Seems to me that this extra service is in conflict with the strike.
Does it really matter?

PATH is not part of the MTA and its personnel are not members of the TWU. The strike does not affect them.

PATH provided similar service back in the 1980 strike.

#196071  by Lackawanna484

PATH provided additional service during the NJT bus strike, and during NJT train strikes.

I can't imagine they wouldn't provide extra service. NJT provided some extra service during the PATH carman's strike, too.

#196203  by JLo

As long as PATH union members aren't forced to cross picket lines, I would think they would be okay with it.

#197412  by arrow

Did anybody ride the special WTC-33 train today? Was it crowded?

#197624  by Lackawanna484

arrow wrote:Did anybody ride the special WTC-33 train today? Was it crowded?
One of my NY friends reported the 830 special from WTC was JAMMED.

The op plan required people to exit "33rd street station" via the 30th street stairs (tunnel end) to allow people to enter via the 32nd street end.

#197717  by arrow

That didn't work when I saw it. They had signs pointing to exit towards 30th St, but everyone just went out the other way. Maybe they enforced this more during rush hours.

#197749  by CarterB

As of this am, PATH is running trains from 33rd to WTC (via NJ) Reports are that there are long lines and service is packed.