Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1217374  by Allan

On 10/1/13 the base PATH fare will increase from $2.25 to $2.50/

The discounted fare for multiple trip purchases (10, 20, 40) using SmartLink or SmartLink Gray will be $1.90 per trip ($19.00, $38.00, $76.00).
 #1217429  by lirr42

Does anybody know weather or not if I have a Smartlink card now can I 'hoard' trips at the $1.70 price and they'll be good until used?
 #1217635  by morris&essex4ever

Thomas wrote:What will the money from the additional fare revenue be going to?
It's anybody's guess at this point.
 #1219388  by ericr

lirr42 wrote:Does anybody know weather or not if I have a Smartlink card now can I 'hoard' trips at the $1.70 price and they'll be good until used?
I know it's too late, but yes, you could have. I've done this previously, and it's just rides on Smartlink, not a cash value.
 #1219392  by lirr42

ericr wrote:I know it's too late, but yes, you could have. I've done this previously, and it's just rides on Smartlink, not a cash value.
Thanks, I was actually able to get over there Friday and toss a couple trips on before the fares went up.
 #1225847  by 25Hz

Yea, the problem is that it's not cheap to maintain PATH or any of the other PA facilities.

There is always the option to shuffle NWK - NBS via light rail then NJT train to from hoboken, then take the ferry across! My estimate says that is still cheaper than driving in...
 #1225882  by Thomas

25Hz wrote:Yea, the problem is that it's not cheap to maintain PATH or any of the other PA facilities.

There is always the option to shuffle NWK - NBS via light rail then NJT train to from hoboken, then take the ferry across! My estimate says that is still cheaper than driving in...
What does NBS stand for?
 #1261557  by F40

Yes, you can "hoard" trips before the fare hike. However, for the last fare increase, PATH did something smart; to sell only 20 or 40 trips on the weeks leading up to the hike (no 10 available). Either that or I got jipped in the choices from the machine I used. It was a hard choice for the occasional rider, which I am. It is true the SmartLink trips never expire; however, sometimes they sit around for a long time.
 #1261873  by 25Hz

Oh how i miss the days of $1.50 trips. Oh well, better fare increases vs service cuts & deferred maintenance & improvements....
 #1261957  by MACTRAXX

25Hz wrote:Oh how i miss the days of $1.50 trips. Oh well, better fare increases vs service cuts & deferred maintenance & improvements....
25Hz and Everyone: I miss the days of 30 cent PATH rides even more...When PATH began in 1962 the fare was already 30 cents and it lasted
for 20 years...

In 1982 the PATH fare was finally increased to 50 cents and I recall that many riders back during 1980-81-82 even thought that the 30 cent fare
at that time "was too cheap"...It goes to show how inflation changes things over time...

I recall that PATH was heavily subsidized then - even more then today - by PA bridge tolls and those fare increases beginning in 1982 was to at
least partially fund system improvements - the 80s PA1-2-3 car overhauls and the late 80s Kawasaki car fleet along with retiring the remaining
1958-vintage Class K car fleet come to mind here...

MACTRAXX