Railroad Forums 

• PAterson, NJ Station

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#269788  by CAR_FLOATER

Mick and Bruce -

Granted, this is slightly off topic, but since it was brought up.....

I would think any kind of service like this would have been from a time long ago, like pre-WW1. Services like this were common in the Victorian era, when auto travel was non-existant, and Sunday say trips were a common thing. CNJ and DL&W rail/boat excursions on Lake Hopatcong were of a similar nature.
I'm not saying it never happened, I'm just saying it's the kind of thing even our Grandparents would have barely remembered, it was so long ago. Coney Island in that time in history was a travel destination in and of itself, like Disneyland is today. A trip there even with the plethora of boat, trolley and rail lines available, would have been a big deal.

CF

#269842  by MickD

CF,
You might be right.I thought when I read about it a few years back that
it had been run at least up the years in between the 2 World Wars
but I could be wrong on that as it's been awhile since I saw the related piece.

Mick
Last edited by MickD on Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #271381  by ErieAtlantic7597

CF,

I have'nt thought about the Lake Hopatcong train/boat thing in years.
My Grandparents spoke many times of the DL&W trip from Paterson to Lake Hopatcong in their younger years. By what I can remember from their stories, there were two different routes covered by two different company steamers on the Lake. The boats would stop at certain hotel docks on the lake. Or they would pick folks up after their visit and bring them back to Landing, right next to the DL&W station.
Those must have been adventurous days. At my older age now, I'm glad that I had grandparents that could relate those times to me when I was a kid.

Take care,

Bruce