Railroad Forums 

• Pataki Pushes for Vote Today On Moniyhan Station Plan

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#305954  by Budd1964

Today in the New York Times. 10/13/06. In the metro section. Their is a article about Pataki wanting to push foward the Moniyhan station plan before he leaves office. Pataki appears to favor Plan A , Why'll Sheldon Silver perfers the alternate Plan B.

#306001  by Irish Chieftain

Not Amtrak-related anymore, since of late this was being pushed as a new concourse for NJ Transit. Besides, it looks like reality is setting in and people are recognizing it as the unviable boondoggle that it is.

#306024  by gprimr1

Wouldn't plan b (the expansion in both ways) get it close enough to connect with PATH?

#306034  by amusing erudition

Doesn't it already connect with PATH if they wanted to reopen that connection?

-asg

#306269  by george matthews

amusing erudition wrote:Doesn't it already connect with PATH if they wanted to reopen that connection?

-asg
Where is the connection?

#306281  by amusing erudition

I'm not exactly sure. Somewhere near the northeast corner of Penn Station. It's been closed 20-some years and the tunnel itself may not be intact anymore.

Surely someone here knows more exactly.

-asg

#306326  by LI Loco

The Penn-to-Path corridor (my name for it) began on the east side of the 7th Ave. subway station near the northeast corner of the LIRR section of Penn Station. It ran under 33rd St. and at one time it had an entry midway into Gimbel's Department Store basement. It ended near the entrance to the PATH line and the BMT/IND Herald Square (6th Ave. & 34th St) subway station.

During the 1970s, it had become a hangout for derelicts of all kinds, to the point where people didn't want to use because of the disgusting and unsafe conditions. I'm not sure what year it closed, but Gimbels closed around the same time, coincidentally.

#306361  by george matthews

LI Loco wrote:The Penn-to-Path corridor (my name for it) began on the east side of the 7th Ave. subway station near the northeast corner of the LIRR section of Penn Station. It ran under 33rd St. and at one time it had an entry midway into Gimbel's Department Store basement. It ended near the entrance to the PATH line and the BMT/IND Herald Square (6th Ave. & 34th St) subway station.

During the 1970s, it had become a hangout for derelicts of all kinds, to the point where people didn't want to use because of the disgusting and unsafe conditions. I'm not sure what year it closed, but Gimbels closed around the same time, coincidentally.
So, it wasn't a rail connection but a passenger walkway?

#306394  by amusing erudition

Didn't mean to imply it was. There's going to be some walking involved in any case, not a rail to rail connection with PATH.

However, closer to PATH or farther away (as the new station would be), it really shouldn't matter because I can't think that too many people require such a connection. If you're going from Penn Station downtown, you use the subway. If you're going from Penn Station to Newark (and points south) you use Amtrak or NJT. If you're going to a train out of Hoboken, you use a NJT with a Midtown Direct or Secaucus Junction.

The only time you would want to use PATH from Penn Station is if you're going to Hoboken itself or Jersey City having arrived from the North or East on Amtrak or LIRR (arriving from the South, you would have transferred at Newark). I can't imagine that's a lot of people, and it doesn't matter that the new thing is farther for some of those few since LIRR wouldn't be using it anyway (as I've understood it).

So it probably doesn't matter if the distance opens up with the new station facilities.

-asg