Railroad Forums 

• Patagonian 30" gauge railway-is it still running?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#158910  by Aa3rt

I watched a railroad video last evening on the Patagonian (Argentina) 30" gauge railway. The little, outside framed 2-8-2's, built by Henschel and Baldwin were fascinating! The ornate equipment reminded one of western railways in the US from 1880-1920.

The video was filmed in 1991 and stated that at that time there was only one train per week to some of the isolated outposts in Patagonia. I believe the railroad was named the "General Rosa". (BTW-why do the Argentinians name their railroads after generals rather than something like the "Buenos Aires and Patagonia"?)

Does anyone know the current status of this charming little line?

#160319  by george matthews

The video was filmed in 1991 and stated that at that time there was only one train per week to some of the isolated outposts in Patagonia. I believe the railroad was named the "General Rosa". (BTW-why do the Argentinians name their railroads after generals rather than something like the "Buenos Aires and Patagonia"?)

Does anyone know the current status of this charming little line?

Yes, I think it is still running but is mainly a tourist line. There are web sites with pictures.

It was of course described by Paul Theroux in his travel book "The Old Patagonian Express" - an account of rail journeys in Latin America, almost all impossible these days.

#160358  by Aa3rt

Thank you, Mr. Matthews. In 1991, the narrator of the video sugested that the line may be used for tourists in the future. However there was some doubt as to how successful that venture may be, as the area was rather desolate, at least in 1991, with little to offer the tourist.

I have the Theroux volume in my library, and have read it, although it's been years. Thanks for the reminder, I'll dig it out this evening and refresh my memory.