Railroad Forums 

• Passenger Trains in El Paso During the 1880s

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#326706  by Wendy

I'm new to this site and am still trying to find my way around, so I hope this is the correct forum. Does anyone have any advice on where I can find information and pictures of passenger trains from the Southern Pacific or any others that ran through El Paso, TX during the 1880s? I'm writing a novel and my character is a travel writer employed by the railroad to promote vacation travel. I've found some information, but I want real details about the inside of the train, how many days would be spent onboard, the types of cars that would be part of such a train etc.

I have been to sphts.org but it doesn't have the real details I'm looking for. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
-W

#326798  by route_rock

Welcome aboard Wendy! I know Time Life books series of the old west has some good shots in the book The Railroaders. The cars were not very comfy and trips could last quite a few days. I will try to get you some pics and more info.

#327276  by Wendy

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have a few of the Time-Life books and they are good, so I went ahead and ordered a used copy of Railroaders off of Amazon.

I'm sure those long distance rides were tough, but I'm hoping to capture some sense of what it was like for a travel writer of that period, especially one who worked PR for the railroad and would perhaps have access to the best there was. I'd like to know if Pullman Hotel Cars or something similar were part of the trains that passed through El Paso. I have an article written by Miriam Leslie in 1877 who traveled to California with a wealthy group from New York, and they had wonderful Hotel Cars, apparently.

Thank you again, and anything you can come up with would be appreciated.