Railroad Forums 

• Passenger service on the MEC Dover-Foxcroft Branch

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#622358  by moxie

Can someone clarify in which year did the Maine Central discontinue passenger service on the Dover-Foxcroft branch? I have 1930 and 1933. Plus I have sen an old photograph from 1948 purporting to show a mixed Maine Central freight enroute to Dover-Foxcroft. I think the caption to be wrong as I think the train was headed to Harmony, Maine. Any opinions?
 #622413  by Mikejf

Just so happens I have some books handy that might shed some light."The Rail Lines of Northern New England" states passenger service ended ca. 1933. In another book, "Lost Railroads of New England", it says "last passenger trains operated around 1933."

As for the freight, the line was not abandoned until 1985 so that freight picture may be accurate.
Mike
 #626275  by gokeefe

On an even more depressing note the tracks for that branch have been completely removed along with most railroad infrastructure. The branch is currently used as a snow-mobile trail. This would be one of the more interesting possibilities for reconstruction in Maine were it ever to occur along with the Calais Branch. I believe the trail is rail-banked so it can, in theory, be brought back to life.