Railroad Forums 

• Passenger rooms/service with showers

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#944342  by CarterB

I am aware that the PRR had a Master Room available on the Broadway, the Southern on the Crescent, and the California Zephyr had a drawing room with shower in the obs car.
What other North American passenger operations, in the past, had rooms with showers (or baths)? IIRC the 20th Century? Did any of the other transcons have such? Or even cars that at least had a shower or bath at an end of the car?
 #1343038  by Gilbert B Norman

I'd dare say, Mr. Morris, "you got 'em all'. The only possible addition is that the Overland Route operators (CNW, UP, and SP) all ordered single level lounges (#62XX in the case of the UP) that possibly had showers.
 #1343106  by edbear

A number of heavyweight luxury trains had baths. The pre-World War II, pre-streamlined Golden State had a bath attached to the barbershop & I suspect the barber was the attendant. I believe there was a ladies lounge that had a female attendant with a separate tub bath. Check old Official Guides or train brochures and those heavyweight trains with a barber/valet may have had a tub bath. Also all those big terminals such as South Station in Boston had retiring rooms where for a modest fee, one could rent a cubicle and towel for clean up after the rail journey.
 #1365404  by chepp

The Santa Fe had a few cars with a shower adjacent to the barber shop:
Pic and the below info is from http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPict ... ?id=999676
Built in 1937 by Budd in Lot #979 as AT&SF 28 seat club lounge-barber shop-shower-dormitory #1372 PICURIS, 1 of 6 such cas (#1371-#1376) built in that Lot, which was ordered in February 1937; cars were delivered in October 1937. The barber shop was later reconfigured to a steward's room. The other 5 cars built in this Lot were either wrecked or retired between 1965 and 1969, leaving only the PICURIS, which was sold in 1971 to Amtrak as #3380. The #3380 was retired in February 1981 and sold to the Memphis Transportation Museum, which renamed the car DYERSBURG. The DYERSBURG was one of several MTM cars acquired by Iowa Pacific.
 #1429950  by John_Perkowski

In addition to barbershops of the lounge cars, in the Streamline era, Pullman created the MASTER ROOM. It could sit four by day in easy chairs, but at night it slept two. It was assigned to the CENTURY and the Broadway Limited, and I'm not sure where else. It was an incredibly exclusive accommodation.

Iowa Pacific revived the accommodation during their Pullman Rail Journey run. Below is a diagram that works. You can see the size of a Master room relative to two 1950s era Model S double bedrooms.
adirondack club.jpg
adirondack club.jpg (250.5 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
 #1429976  by Gilbert B Norman

John_Perkowski wrote:In addition to barbershops of the lounge cars, in the Streamline era, Pullman created the MASTER ROOM. It could sit four by day in easy chairs, but at night it slept two. It was assigned to the CENTURY and the Broadway Limited, and I'm not sure where else.
Colonel Sir, may I perfect?

The other train offering Master Rooms was The Crescent where there was one of such in the "Crescent --" cars.

Possibly the '38 Century (I'll check my library), but the '49 Century did not. The full Lounges, "Atlantic Shore" and "Lake Shore" had the Barber Shop and a communal shower, but by the time the Rock Island acquired the cars after their '58 withdrawal from the Century, "Atlantic" became "Pacific", they were largely stripped of amenities when becoming Rock's share of the Golden State's Lounges (rode such during '63; what an inferior to the others Chi LA - and they had the audacity to charge Extra Fare).